Prepared and submitted by Patricia
View: Index of Names
Starts at Page 3:
History of Millwood
Lincoln County, Missouri.
Millwood is situated in the western part of Section 14 and the eastern part of Section 15 in Township 50 north, range 2 west, and is about 12 miles northwest of the County Seat, Troy. Before Millwood was known, or the adjacent towns of Corso and Olney, the surrounding territory was referred to as "The Forks of Cuivre." Cuivre, a name given to it when France owned this territory, means "Copper river." Besides the records of history we have proofs of Spanish possession by the finding of Spanish coins in our soil. Indian possession is attested to by finding their flint arrowheads in our cultivated fields. Before the dawning of civilization, the country was described as being very beautiful; the woods full of majestic trees, singing birds and beautiful flowers, and in the fall, when the long grass took on its autumnal hue, the prairies became a waving sea of gold, out of which the frightened deer leaped like a trout in the water. Deer were very plentiful here in the early days, one of them being killed where the Millwood church now stands and another on the site of the old carding machine. A large elk was shot by an old settler, Thos. Hammond, on his farm two miles southeast of Millwood, and a panther was killed by Ben Fletcher in 1848 in the fields east of Millwood.
Dr. Joseph A. Mudd said in a conversation once that when he was a boy he saw a gang of over 100 wolves near the same spot. While in its original
wild state this country was visited occasionally by Spanish explorers, hunters, trappers and traders. One of these, a Frenchman named Paris, built a log hut somewhere near Davis and traded with the Indians for furs. Paris creek in that locality was named after him.
Shortly after the War of 1812, Jacob Knulls, a bee hunter who was formerly a native of Tennessee, but afterwards a soldier at Woods fort (now Troy) explored the stream known as Knull's creek. It was then called Honey creek, but was afterwards named after him. In his explorations, he discovered the two famous springs known today as the Dwyer and the Dyer springs. On his return trip, he told a fellow soldier, George Jameson, of the wonderful springs he had found and the possibilities they suggested for location and settlement. Accordingly Jameson loaded his household goods, his wife and several small children onto a rude wagon drawn by a yoke of oxen and started for the location described. He was accompanied by Ned Cottle, a brother-in-law from Old Monroe, who helped them to move and to chop a road through the woods. They traveled nearly the precise road now taken from Troy to Millwood, and upon arriving at West Cuivre dug down the bank a few yards below the site of the present bridge and passed over to the north side. George Jameson was the first man to cross West Cuivre with a team and wagon, when he arrived at the Dwyer spring. A few days later he built his cabin at the foot of the hill and became the first settler in all that region known as the Forks of Cuivre. He remained there on year with no companions but the Indians, and the following year his first neighbor, Thos. Hammond, arrived and settled near the Dyer spring. Jameson died in the year 1861 at Foley and
was buried there. His wife, who was a distant relation of Henry Clay, was the first woman to be buried in this part of the country. Her remains lie buried in a little graveyard on the Dwyer farm. Jameson left no descendants in this country but the descendants of Hammond are quite numerous. Thos. Hammond, who died in the year 1864, at the age of 80, was buried on the farm known as the John Moore place, now owned by Hilary Mudd.
In the same year, John Gilliland and Wm. Trail, of Kentucky, settled on the Sulphur Lick graveyard hill. The widow of the latter died some years ago at the home where the present Wm. Trail now lives at the advanced age of 97. She remembered well the days of the Indians. Philip Sitton, coming from Stout Fort at Auburn, also settled, in 1818, 200 yards east of the Squire Jameson place, but afterward moved onto the Clark Ellis farm. He was the ancestor of that line of the Sitton family from whom Sitton's Branch is named and Sitton's graveyard. Berry Parks, from Kentucky, also came here the same year and settled at the spring near Parks school house, which afterward bore his name. Wm. Broyles Sitton left Tennessee in 1818 and afterwards located where Robt. Sitton now lives. While coming through St. Louis, then called the Mound City, he was offered 160 acres of wild land by a Frenchman in exchange for a pony, but refused the offer and came on. The land was afterwards located in the vicinity of Market street, St. Louis. In 1820, Benj. Kinion, of Kentucky, settled where Hurley Trail afterward lived. He was the grandfather of all the Kinions. Capt. Dick Wommack of Virginia, arrived in 1823. James Gilmore, father of Judge Gilmore, accompanied by Daniel Clare and his half-brother, Allen Clare, all of Kentucky, came
in 1826. Adam Hall, ancestor of the Hall family, came in 1827, and A.H. Williams, father of B.R. and Rom Williams, in 1828. Stephen A. Stephens also came the same year. Early in the thirties, Tom Rector, a Revolutionary soldier, and the ancestor of the Rectors, settled on the Matt Wheatly hill, one mile southwest of Millwood. He lived to be 102 years old. This list of old settlers, which is incomplete, should include the names of the following people who also came before the Thirties: Squire Jameson, Daniel Kimler, John Ricks, Jeremiah Henry, Bailey Young, John Seymour, Tom McGowan, J.K. Salmons, Jim Calhoun, the Uptegroves, Morrisses, Moores, Wilsons and others. The Mudds, whom we will have occasion to mention later in connection with Millwood, did not come till late in the Thirties.
In the early days of the community, when there were no towns, this neighborhood was known as the Forks of Cuivre settlement. Near Corso the Ingram settlement. The Louisville vicinity was called the Col. Cox settlement, and at Auburn was what was known as the Stouts settlement. At stated intervals, wagons would be detailed to go from the various settlements to St. Louis, hauling tobacco, hides, butter and other produce to market, and returning with salt, gunpowder, groceries and sundry articles for the use of the settlers. The first supply store existed at Troy in 1819, and one was conducted by Nick Palmer, three miles southeast of Millwood on the John Moore place in 1830. Early blacksmith shops scattered throughout the county were operated by McGowan, Ives and Humphrey. The first grist mill was built by Josiah Wilson, grandfather of Sheriff Huston, who settled 2 miles east of Millwood in 1818, and was operated by lever
power. Five or six men would insert levers into the frame attached to the upper burr and grasping the outer end would walk the circle until the desired quantity of meal was ground. Later, tread-wheel power furnished by oxen was used to operate the mills, and some time during the 40's a water mill was put into operation on Cuivre, near Davis.
The land on which the early settlers located cost them $1.25 an acre and this price was paid at the nearest land office where they received a deed or title to the same. The land office for this territory was first located at St. Louis, but afterwards moved to Palmyra as a more convenient point. To secure pre-emption rights to a farm, a settler would have to locate on a quarter section of land, build a cabin thereon and live in it a short length of time. He would then go to the land office and make oath in the presence of witnesses that he had occupied said, tract of land, giving location, number and description of the same. The patent would then be sent to Washington City to await the President's signature. Many patent deeds to land in this neighborhood were signed by such early Presidents as John Quincy Adams, Jackson, Van Buren, Harrison and Tyler. Cheap as those farms seemed to be, the products of the land were also so cheap that it was many years before they could be paid for. Wild game was plentiful and foodstuffs were low in price. Population was scarce and markets were poor. Even St. Louis was little more than a village. In November, 1841, a number of settlers from where Millwood was destined to be, started to St. Louis with a caravan of wagons drawn by oxen, to market their farm products. These wagons were loaded with dressed chickens, tobacco, butter and other things representing a year's labor. They took along bedding and
cooking utensils and the trip occupied three days. When they reached St. Louis, it was found that the dressed chickens had soured and could scarcely be sold. When the tobacco was opened, it was found that it did not suit the requirements of the market and the best bid they could get for it was $1.25 per hundred. The sales of this expedition were so poor that some of the members of it had to borrow money to come home on. On their return trip they saw a hogshead of tobacco lying on the muddy roadside near St. Charles, where the owner had dumped it out, not intending to return for it. That same year the tax collector of this county, Capt. Richard Wommack, resigned from office because the times were so hard and money so scarce that he couldn't collect the taxes.
In those days the farmers were compelled to go to Troy for their mail, which was about once a week or sometimes to Louisville, where a post office was already started. As population increased an effort was soon made to have a post office started at the home of Dr. Hilary Mudd, near the present site of Millwood, and after much delay, the department at Washington granted this request in 1843, on the condition that if the revenue derived from it did not pay one-half of the expenses it would be discontinued. The postage at this time was 25 cents on a letter and $2.00 a year on a newspaper. The name of Fairview was first requested for the office, but as there was already a Fairview in the State, the Department suggested the use of another name. Dr. Mudd then sent the name of Millward, a prominent Whig politician, and the clerk mistaking the name for Millwood, wrote it that way and it has been Millwood ever since. In 1850, Joseph Wells built the first store and
dwelling house combined on the site of Millwood in the northwest corner of the Sands field. After a short while, he was succeeded by Wm. Elder, who kept a store for a short time. In 1853, Judge Henry T. Mudd, who was originally located on a farm south of Millwood, purchased ten acres of land there and laid out the town. He established the first carding machine in the Forks of Cuivre there and erected a dwelling, which was afterwards used as a hotel, and a store building across the street from it, which was afterwards used by the Sands brothers, Tom and Sam. He was at first engaged in the mercantile business with Dr. Hilary Mudd, but afterwards bought out his interest and in 1869, erected a more pretentious building on the cross-roads corner, where a large trade was established. At his death in 1890, he was succeeded by his son, Dan H. Mudd, who sold out in 1899. There were usually two stores in Millwood, the other being operated at different times by the Sands brothers, Emmett Cummings and Ben Henry. Merchandise and other supplies were hauled from Clarksville at that time. The first blacksmith shop was started by John Foley. Henry Corley, a wheelwright in his early days, made wagons at Millwood and later on Wm. Mattingly conducted an extensive blacksmith and repair shop and sold farm implements. Nick Mudd and Colonel Hammett were also early blacksmiths here. Basil R. Elder conducted a hotel for many years and also operated the carding machine, which he purchased later on. The carding machine drew trade from a large territory and did much to improve the business life of Millwood.
Many droves of hogs were assembled at Millwood long ago to be weighed, fed and routed for shipment. Some of the early hog buyers were Wright
Nichols, Nathan Salmonds and Squire Quarton. Some of these hogs were driven on foot to St. Louis, others were taken to Wentzville and Wright City for shipment, and others driven to Clarksville and shipped by boat. Several shoemakers operated in Millwood at different times and did a very fair business, the last one being Robt. Elder. Wm. S. Henry kept a model carpenter shop here for several years and built many houses, all of which have stood the test of time remarkably well. Most of the oak lumber used in the early houses of Millwood was sawed at Sitton's water mill, which was operated on North Cuivre during the 50's, at the present Barney Miller ford. It was also a grist mill and the stone burrs belonging to it are now lying at the bottom of the stream.
Millwood had two drug stores most of the time and many physicians, Dr. Hilary Mudd being the first one located in the Forks of Cuivre. Other old time physicians were Drs. Leake, Birkhead, Taylor, Shoemaker and Corcoran. Dr. Solomon R. McKay practiced here for a short time. The late Dr. H.B. Wommack was resident physician for the longest period of time and had quite a practice. Dr. George Henry Mudd and Dr. Dory Mudd also practiced medicine in Millwood, but neither of them lived long. Several saloons were operated here in the early days and several distilleries were located in the adjacent neighborhood. The distilleries were at that time looked upon as the vanguard of civilization and the saloons as a necessary evil. A fair quality of whiskey was also sold at some of the stores for fifty cents a gallon. Two men were killed in Millwood during the 60's, one case being justifiable homicide while the other was not. There was one case of suicide, the victim being a shoemaker by the name
of Mathias. He killed himself with a shotgun by placing the muzzle of the gun under his chin and pulling the trigger with a string attached to his foot. The act was supposed to have been committed in a moment of despondency and possible mental derangement. Frequent brawls and disturbances occurred on the streets of Millwood in the late 60's and early 70's, and the constable's office at that time was a rather busy one. Like many other pioneer towns in that period following the Civil War, its morale was not of the best. A free for all fight took place in a saloon one time in which about twenty men were engaged. One day a circus visited Millwood and cleaned up the town. The visiting fighters were mostly acrobats and stake drivers.
A famous painter named Maxwell was located in Millwood at the time of the building of Judge Mudd's second store. He painted the counters of this store in various hues and colors and ornamented them with figures of Indians, cats and dogs. A beautiful sample of his skill was executed on the walls of a house built by Capt. Wommack, which was afterward destroyed by fire. Specimens of his handiwork reamain on the interior walls of a house built by John Griffin, near Clarksville. Rice's photograph gallery visited Millwood during the 70's, and took tin-type pictures of the early residents. When the old hall was built (1855), Millwood became a town of entertainment and its reputation for hospitality was known far and wide. No one will ever forget the Millwood balls and the wonderful suppers prepared there by the kind ladies, most of whom are now gone. It was also a great place for shows and several good ones visited here at different times. A theatrical troop from St. Louis, the members of which had friends at Millwood, visited
here late in the 60's and gave several enteratainments in the hall. Cooper and Jackson's land circus and menagerie showed here in 1884, and Charley Addison's Salvine Show came here the following year.
Many noted people lived in Millwood long ago. Dr. Joseph A. Mudd, the son of Dr. Hilary Mudd, was born and raised here. He was the historian of Lincoln county and the writer of several books, including "With Porter in North Missouri." When the Short Line railroad, connecting Hannibal with St. Louis was built through Lincoln county in 1881, the career of Millwood as a town was ended. "Cave City" station, located on the railroad, soon became the town of Silex and many Millwood people moved there and diverted trade to that point. Disastrous fires occurring in Millwood afterward, nearly wiped out the town. The only business conducted there now is the general store operated by Louis Schneidler. It is still a large religious and social center and with the building of the new K.C. hall, the people of the parish hope to keep up the reputation for hospitality they have always enjoyed in the past.
History of St. Alphonsus' Parish
It should be of interest for the Catholics of this community to know that the land on which we now live was discovered by Father Marquette, in 1673. That he and several others, accompanied by an Indian guide, sailed in two birch canoes down the Mississippi river from the wilds of Wisconsin to the mouth of the Arkansas. This intrepid party, the first white people to descend the majestic river, saw the eastern boundary of Lincoln county and passed close to the present site of Elsberry. Through
the discoveries of Father Marquette, the whole Territory of Louisiana, as it was then called, passed into the hands of France, where it remained for nearly one hundred years.
Of still greater importance is it for us to know that Lord Baltimore's Catholic colony, which landed on the shores of Maryland in 1634, furnished the seeds or graftings from which the Millwood parish was started 200 years later. This colony, which was founded on the principle of "Religious Tolerat on to All!" left England in two ships, called the "Ark" and "Dove," on the 22nd day of November 1633, and arrived at St. Clement's Island, Maryland, on March 25th 1634, on the feast of the Annunciation. In the personnel of these ships, including 300 souls or more, were three brothers named Mudd; one of whom was the ancestor of all the Mudds of America.
When the Indians saw the approach of the vessels and the crowds pouring from their decks toward the land, they were filled with apprehension, and when the members of the expedition, led by their Chaplain, Father White, planted a cross in the soil and made preparations to say mass in the open air, they looked on with increasing wonderment. This was the first mass celebrated in that part of the world, and though they realize in some mysterious way that it was a manifestation to the "Great Spirit."
A few days later, a religious and business council was organized to hold a conference with the chief of that tribe. When the members of the council sailed up St. Mary's river in a pinnace to the appointed place of meeting, they were met by the chief, accompanied by 500 warriors with drawn bows and arrows. After assurances from the English
by friendly signs and calmly spoken words, that their mission was a peaceful one, the Indian ruler bravely laid down his arms and came aboard the pinnace. Through the medium of an interpreter, he was introduced as King Yaocomico. The members of the peace council, including the Governor and a priest who accompanied them, told the King that they had come to teach his people about the power of God, and to explain the truths of the Catholic faith; that they would teach them the arts of civilization and that they would occupy their land only by consent and purchase.
The King listened in grave silence to these words, and speaking through the interpreter, said that he would be glad for his people to know more about the Great Spirit and to learn the ways of the white men, and that he would live peaceably with them and give them lands and wigwams to occupy if they would promise to help his people in case of wars with other tribes. After further agreement, the chief, who seems to have been a man of unusual understanding, ceded to the Colonists a tract of land 30 miles square, containing an Indian village, in exchange for axes, hatchets, rakes and cloth. Lord Baltimore's people lived in perfect concord with those Indians and not only converted them but also the savages of several other tribes. The wigwam village became the town of St. Mary's, a Catholic stronghold after which St. Mary's County was named, and the faith afterwards spread into St. Charles County.
From St. Charles County, Maryland, came the first Catholics that entered the land in Lincoln county, Judge Henry T. Mudd, of Bryantown, Md., belonging to the fifth generation of descendants from Lord Baltimore's Colony, was the first Catholic to own a
farm in this county, or in the Forks of Cuivre. At the age of 23, in 1839, he settled on a Missouri river farm near St. Charles with his first wife, one child and several slaves. Having raised and sold a large corn crop, averaging 70 bushels to the acre, he came to Lincoln county in 1840, where he purchased and moved to the 160 acres of land now owned by Matt O'Brien. Dr. Hilary P. Mudd, coming from the same part of Maryland, settled on a farm below the City of St. Charles, in 1836. Two years later, having lost his wife, his mother, and infant son and several slaves by sickness, he returned to Maryland in discouragement, but again married in 1840, and the following year settled on a farm immediately east of the present site of Millwood. The coming of these two men was the beginning of the propogation of a faith that was afterwards to develop into a large parish. Both of them furnished money, land and moral support toward the establishment of a church here at a time when the religion might easily have been diverted elsewhere. As Judge Mudd was the father of the writer, and Dr. Mudd a first cousin of his, we trust we may be excused for mentioning their very close relationship to the early affairs of our parish. Dr. Hilary Mudd donated land for the original graveyard and the first log church that was built thereon. He also donated the land on which the brick church was built ten years later. He waited on the altar at the first mass service conducted here and afterwards taught his sons to do the same. All his slaves were baptized, educated and died in the Catholic faith. My father secured the attendance of the first priest who said mass here. He was an active assistant and liberal contributor to the building of the first three churches, as well as the convent and gave the land
on which it and the frame church were built.
There were a few transient Catholic settlers here before 1840. Dorothy Mudd, an aunt of my father, was the first Catholic to arrive in Lincoln county. She was married to man named John Clare and they settled on the Hennesee place, in 1827, but afterwards moved to Texas. Thomas Nathaniel Mudd, a brother of Dr. Mudd, arrived in 1835, accompanied by his two sisters, one of whom married Dr. Hayden, and the other Thomas J. Fletcher. Nathaniel Mudd, who was the grandfather of Edward and Dayton Mudd, was killed by a stroke of lightning on May 2,1849. The Sands were also here in 1836.
My father, in a diary written in 1875, says the following: "Before leaving St. Charles, I had gotten a promise from Father Smidt, superior of that place, who had been very kind to us, to let Father Walters, his assistant, come up on horseback, a distance of fifty miles, and celebrate mass at my home for the benefit of the Catholic settlers. Having soon built a right fair sized house on the place, Father Walters for the first two years said mass at my house every two or three months, at which every member of the church, being in all about eight or ten families, old and young, white and black, would attend. After mass and sermon, as many of them had come fasting and walked some distance, my kind wife would prepare a bountiful dinner for all hands, for which a young porker of a fat mutton had previously been killed. The afternoons were usually spent in foot-racing, wrestling and jumping contests, good Father Walters not only hugely enjoying it, but sometimes taking a minor part in it himself. As money was a scarce commodity with us in those days, we only made up the amount of
five dollars to the priest for each visit, but he seemed so much attached to us and it afforded him such pleasure to pay us these visits, that the small amount was entirely satisfactory to him."
The building in which the first masses were said is still standing in good condition. Masses were also said at intervals at the George Dyer home, at the old log house of the Sands', Dr. Hilary Mudd's house, and later in the brick house on the Lyons' place.
The Old Log Church
After two years had elapsed and the number of families had increased to about twelve, the priest said to them: "Why don't you build a chapel of your own at some convenient place where all can meet and worship together." Though they had no capital to begin with this suggestion appealed to them and they at once started the selection of a building site. This happened to be the little hill on which the graveyard is located, and was the cause of the graveyard being located there. The first person to be buried in the graveyard was Martin Rush. As the church was to be built entirely with contributed labor, the men assembled from day to day in shifts, hauling the logs with oxen, hewing, notching, and placing them in position. They worked with great sincerity and though there was no effort at style, they endeavored to make it as neat as possible. Non-Catholics lent their aid and encouragement. The only money collected was one dollar, given by Captain Richard Wommack, a member of the Baptist faith. His descendants now number a large part of our congregation. In accepting this dollar, the settlers said that it looked to be about the size of a wagon wheel. It purchased all of the nails that
were used in the construction of the building. We need not wonder at this when we realize that the buildings in those days were fastened together with mortises, wooden pins and ridge-poles. The little church, when completed, was 22 by 30 feet, with a sanctuary in addition, 12 by 16 feet, and a small gallery for the choir. The doors had wooden hinges and wooden latches.
In describing this simple, primitive church, we feel that we are doing more toward the cause of religion than if we were describing the greatest cathedral. Our forefathers, in their early worship, showed faith, sacrifice, humility and all those qualities that tend to make us truly religious. Here they met to celebrate their first mass in that humble building, not far removed from the mournful cry of the wolves, surrounded by primitive conditions on every side, and poured forth their prayers before an humble altar bedecked with the wild flowers of the woods, feeling no doubt the same animation which our Savior's words had inspired when He said: "Where a few of you are gathered together in My name, there am I in the midst of you."
The log church and the new parish was then dedicated and placed under the patronage of St. Alphonsus Liguori, the great moral theologian of the Seventeenth century. Eighty-five years have elapsed since the building of the first church, and we are able to give only a partial list of the heads of families who attended worship there. This includes first the Maryland Mudds, Dr. Hilary, Henry T., Alexander, Athanasius, Francis L., and Nathaniel. The Kentucky Mudds were Robert, Luke, Raymond and James H. Others from Maryland were the Sands, George J. Dyer, Thomas Fletcher and Isadore Gardiner, all of them related to the Mudds. Then follows
Alonzo Edelen, Stephen Mattingly, Joseph Koster, Wm. Worland, and a few others. Those of Irish extraction were: Thomas Flood, Martin Rush, Timothy Cummins, Nicholas White and the Feehan family. From the Feehan family, who lived two miles northwest of Millwood on the White place, came Archbishop Feehan, of Chicago. His father is buried in the Millwood graveyard. At that time the Archbishop was president of the Carondelet Theological Seminary and on the occasion of his frequent visits to his mother, preached several eloquent sermons in the old log church. The first choir which sang in the parish, though it did not have the assistance of instrumental music, was said to be a very good one. It is worthy of note as showing the tolerant and co-operative spirit of the times that Mr. Beverly Williams, a non-Catholic, assisted in the organization of this choir and sang with them for several consecutive Sundays.
Missionary Priests of Millwood
Before the building of the first church or the family masses already referred to, the Jesuit Fathers, who had charge of the Catholic congregation of St. Charles since 1823, had been in the habit of sending priests on clerical errands to the scattered settlers of Lincoln county. One of these, a Father Lefevre, performed the first marriage ceremony here, on August 9,1836, the contracting parties being Thomas Fletcher and Eliza Mudd. The cabin in which it was celebrated was deserted several years later and soon fell to ruin. It stood on the farm east of the Sands' place owned consecutively by Wm. Hammonds, Syl. Mudd and Alphonsus Mudd. The rite of Confirmation was administered for the first time in Lincoln county, June, 1857, by
the Right Rev. James Duggan, Coadjutor or Bishop of St. Louis. A large number were confirmed at this time, the ceremony taking place in the brick church under the pastorate of Father Lyne. The only surviving members of this confirmation now living in the parish are Mrs. Ben Mudd Worland and Miss Kitty Sands. Father Walters performed the first ceremonies in the log church. Dr. Joseph A. Mudd, writer and historian, was the first person baptized there.
Father James Murphy, of Ralls county, was the next priest to visit the Millwood settlement on his mission, stopping always as a guest at the home of some of the Maryland Catholics and celebrating mass once a month. The records of the church begin in his hand-writing on the 14th of February, 1847. We are indebted to the chroniclers of that early period that they wrote the surnames plainly instead of using initials. On that day he baptized Elizabeth, daughter of Jos. Wells, and Kitty Sands. On the 7th of June, the same year, he married Nathaniel Mudd, already referred to, and Ann Maria Mudd, afterward mother of Enoch Crider. His record of baptisms performed on eleven infants concludes with the baptism of Emmett Cummins, on December 5th. Father Murphy was pastor for one year and was succeeded by Father John Canon O'Hanlon, then a young missionary priest stationed at Hannibal.
Father O'Hanlon, who was an uncle of the present generation of O'Hanlons living at Millwood, had charge of this parish, and several other small ones widely separated, during the spring and summer of 1848. The life of the early missionaries in those days was extremely hard. It usually took two days to make the trip on horseback from their starting
point to their farthest destination, and much of this journey was made through dense forests of timber and across the trackless prairie. Exposed to the weather and the malaria arising from the swamps, they frequently suffered from intermittent attacks of ague. Father O'Hanlon was often compelled, while fording swollen streams, to stand erect or kneel on the saddle with his vestments in his saddle bags tied around his neck to protect them from the water. Father O'Hanlon, in later years, returned to Ireland, where he achieved great fame as a religious historian. He performed eleven infant baptisms in Millwood the first being on May 28,1848, James Philip Mudd, now one of the oldest men of the parish, and the second one Thomas J. Mattingly.
Soon afterward Archbishop Kenrick, who had recently succeeded Bishop Rosatti, sent Father Robert Wheeler from St. Louis to take charge of the Millwood parish. Father O'Hanlon accompanied him and introduced the young priest to the people of the new parish. He was the first resident priest and he stayed at the home of Dr. Hilary Mudd, there being no pastoral residence here at the time. His mission also included Louisiana and the settlement at Indian Creek, Monroe county, now Swinkey. Father Wheeler began his pastoral work with great zeal and earnestness, but his frail constitution was quite unequal to the fatigues of a backwoods mission. His health soon became impaired and he was recalled to St. Louis about a year later. He never fully recovered his health and finally returned to Ireland.
It seems that the colored population almost predominated in the early days of the parish, this probably being due to the conditions of slavery existing then. The log church was hardly built to
accomodate the growth of the parish and its use for church services was abandoned about the year 1850. For about five years, or until the town hall was built, it was used as a school house. It was then offered for sale and was purchased by Garret Murphy, who moved it, piecemeal, to the town of Millwood where it was incorporated into a dwelling house which is now owned by Jack Mudd. The logs were weather-boarded and plastered over and are supposed to be still in good condition. A neatly made oaken bench, the last surviving relic of the old log church, is being preserved at the home of Miss Sarah Byrnes.
Father Fleming's name appears on the Baptismal records for the space of about one year. On June 20,1850, he baptized Francis Dryden and on June 29,1851, he baptized Daniel Lyne Mudd. Little is known of him by the people now living, except that he was a probable assistant to Father Lyne. Fleming Dyer was named after him and the name was afterwards converted to Flemma and bestowed upon his younger daughter.
Energy of Father Lyne
In January, 1850, Father Daniel Lyne arrived from St. Joseph, Mo., to take charge of St. Alphonsus' parish. His advent created a marked change in the affairs of Millwood. He was a young priest of marked ability and as talented an orator as ever graced a country pulpit. On one occasion he preached a sermon at Washington city, where he had as an appreciative and attentive listener, the great Daniel Webster. He is described as a man of powerful build and wonderful energy - - an energy that brooked no opposition and knew no defeat.
Shortly after his arrival here, on noticing that
the log church was too small for the size of the congregation, he conceived the idea of building a fine new brick church, and, notwithstanding the fact that there were only forty families here, at the time and the country was in a state of semi-wildness, he actually succeeded in accomplishing this wonderful task. To start the building as soon as possible, a spot was selected for the location of a brickyard in the field west of the graveyard. In breaking ground for the brickyard, the laborers encountered frozen earth to the depth of nearly a foot. This was chopped into sections ten feet square and was lifted out by hand, Father Lyne himself assisting in the herculanean task. A lime kiln was also built about two miles east of Millwood and lime was burnt for the making of mortar. The church contractors was a carpenter named Hendrickson and the painter was named Bury, both from St. Louis. Father Lyne not only sunk a large part of his own fortune into the building of the church, but waited on the carpenters and helped to do the digging. On one occasion he carried a heavy beam to the top of the building, walking over a narrow gangway at the time, a feat which no other man could have accomplished. To complete the church in time for Christmas service, he and the others went upon the roof in extremely cold weather and finished nailing down the shingles. The dimensions of the building were 32 by 76 feet, and the final cost $8,000. The dedication ceremonies were performed by Archbishop Kenrick. it was the finest building of its kind seen in Lincoln county up till that time. It was built on the Gothic style of architecture and the interior was furnished with walnut and other costly timbers. It had beautiful windows and it had a pulpit near the altar. It was also equipped with a
magnificent pipe organ costing $800, which was a considerable sum at that time, and this organ was an instrument of such wonderful tone and power that it could be heard playing a half-mile distant from the church.
Strictly speaking, the brick church was a failure after all. Long before it was paid for it had crumble into decay. Many of the bricks composing its walls were soft and imperfect, and the foundation was made of shelly rock and hastily constructed. In the course of a few years the walls settled unevenly and began to crack and the roof spread apart so that it shook and rattled whenever the wind blew in a menacing manner. On Friday, March 10, 1876, there came a windstorm which traveled from northeast to southwest through parts of Iowa and the upper counties of Missouri, killing several people in Monroe county and destroying the church and town of Swinkey. Though the wind had lost considerable of its force by the time it reached Millwood, it nevertheless had sufficient power to tear the roof off of the brick church and to blow the front wall and gable into the interior. When the parishoners saw the damage that had been done, they knew the building was beyond repair and this was the last of the old brick church. The last couple married within its walls were Emmett Cummings and Mrs. Celia Legg, exactly ten days before its destruction.
It was a peculiar fact that when the brick church was completed and all sums collected, the remaining debt of $3600 nearly overwhelmed the congregation. This was due to the low price of farm products in that period, a good horse being worth only $30, a cow and calf $14, hogs 2 or 3 cents a pound and wheat in proportion. In fact they raised very
little wheat, not having the machinery to raise it with, and having to haul what they did raise all the way to Clarksville and Louisiana. In following the fortunes of the old brick church, we have forgotten to state that Father Lyne was not here at the time of its destruction. He left Millwood in 1848, a disappointed man and soon afterwards turned his steps sorrowfully toward Ireland, where he died about the year 1870. It seems strange that a man of his talent and genius should have been sent to a small place like Millwood. Had he been transferred to broader fields and greater opportunities he might have accomplished much. Beside his activities already mentioned, he built the first parochial residence, a fine brick house near the K.C. lot, and another brick house on the Lyons place, which he at one time owned.
He was interested in the upbuilding of his community and the welfare of his countrymen. He was one of the two delegates who represented Missouri in the Buffalo Immigration Convention of the early fifties, and through his efforts in that body he induced hundreds of the Irish to come to Missouri and particularly to Millwood. Under his administration, the population of the parish was increased twofold and it soon became known as an Irish Catholic settlement.
Father Healy succeeded Father Lyne and had charge of the parish two years. His last marriage ceremony was performed on November 20,1860, when he united in marriage Robert Elder and Harriet Sweeny. Then came Father O'Regan, who presided three years during the Civil War period. His last baptism was that of George Shocklee, June 2,1864. Little is known of him by the people now living, but a picture of him has been preserved at
the home of Miss Ella Scott. A picture of Father Lyne is also extant at the home of Gus Mudd in St. Louis.
Trial of Father Cummings
After Father O'Regan came Father Cummings, who remained here about six months. He baptized Johanna Murphy on June 26,1864, and his last baptism occurred September 10, a short while before the arrival of Father Cleary. After leaving Millwood, Father Cummings was located at Louisiana, Mo., and it was here in 1865 that he became the victim of the famous test oath which was one of the provisions of the Drake Constitution. The action of the Republican State Legislature in passing this constitution resulted as an aftermath of the Civil War, and while it was intended as a precautionary measure to insure loyalty towards the government, it went too far in some of its provisions and showed the languishing fires of hatred toward the South. In it, teachers, priests and ministers of all denominations were required to make oath that they had never been engaged in hostilities towards the United States nor assisted those who had, by act or word, money or sympathy. Severe penalties followed their failure to take this oath, or to teach, preach or administer the sacraments without having taken it. Ministers of all faiths rebelled against it, declaring it was unconstitutional and that it interfered with the dictates of conscience. Archbishop Kenrick forbade his clergy to take it, and upon continuing his pastoral duties, was arrested. Upon further refusal to give bond, he was placed in Bowling Green jail to await his trial. At his trial he was convicted, sentenced to pay a fine of $500
and to be committed to jail until the fine and costs were paid. He appealed his
case to the Supreme Court of the State. It decided against him and he then appealed
to the Supreme Court of the United States. In the meantime, his case had attracted
nation-wide attention and similar indictments throughout Missouri were held over pending
the decision of the Cummings case. The final court rendered a decision in favor of Father Cummings and against the validity of the so-called test
oath, and thus ended all such cases in the State of Missouri.
Zeal of the Early Catholics
In the early days of Catholic worship at Millwood, the people came to church in the most primitive manner. Many of them came in dump carts drawn by oxen. A dump cart, if I am describing it correctly, consisted of a crude wooden box set on two wheels and fastened to the tongue in front with a large wooden pin, so that when the pin was drawn, the cart would turn a back somersault if you wished and dump its contents on the ground. A score or more of these carts and wagons would be seen standing in the hitchyard of a Sunday, with the oxen attached to them chained to the racks. At other times they rode horseback, the women frequently seated behind their husbands. When the roads were bad, they walked, distance presenting no obstacle, and though snow and mud intervened, they wore no overshoes. There was no fire in the church in those days and they often suffered from cold. Deaths from pneumonia were not infrequent.
In spite of these hardships and many others, their faith instead of weakening, seemed to strengthen, and the parish continued to thrive and grow. By the year of 1860 or 1865, it had increased to about
100 families and such was the fame and piety of Millwood at this time that its name was known to the clergy in various parts of the United States and even across the Atlantic. As the years passed on, the Catholics gradually established themselves in the community and the Protestants gradually moved away. This was not due to any coercion on the part of the Catholics, but it was because that when a Protestant man wanted to sell his farm he usually advertised it to a Catholic buyer and the Catholic man in turn became a ready purchaser on account of the church already being established there.
Life and Labors of Father Cleary
Rev. Thomas Cleary arrived in Millwood in the fall of 1864, and though he was 52 years of age at the time, he remained pastor of the parish for a longer time than any other priest. During his residence of 31 years here, he christened children, afterward married them, christened their children also, and afterwards administered the sacrament of Communion to them. In all he baptized 953 children and performed 197 marriage ceremonies. Though he lived through an age of improvement, he found the parish extremely poor when he took charge of it, and no man was better adapted to handle the situation than he. He possessed an iron constitution, enabling him to withstand many hardships and his wants were simple and few. He loved the country and avoided the cities. He was sincerely zealous in the discharge of his duties towards his people and he had their spiritual welfare at heart up to the last minute of his life. Besides this parish, he also had charge of Troy and the Bohemian settlement, which he visited occasionally and it must
be remarked that Father Lyne in his time also had these charges as well as the church at Swinkey, Monroe county. Father Michael Walsh assisted Father Cleary from 1873 to 1874, and Father Mulholland was assistant pastor to him in 1882.
In 1870, at the earnest instigation and request of Father Cleary, a large, fine bell was purchased for the parish. It was for many years the largest in the state barring the City of St. Louis. A cross surmounting a grave is engraved upon it and also the words: "Cast by J. G. Stuckstede and Brother, St. Louis,Mo., 1869." We have no record of its cost, but it was supposed to be about $300. Its estimated weight is 1500 pounds. It was shipped by steamboat to Clarksville and hauled from there to Millwood by Thomas Byrnes, in a farm wagon. While coming through Pike county, Mr. Byrnes was hailed by a man who persistantly asked him what he was going to do with his bell. Halting his team for a minute, he replied that he was troubled with a very roguish cow which had been annoying his neighbors and straying away from home and that he was going to attach the bell to her neck so as to be able to find her whenever she escaped. In favorable weather, the tone-waves of this bell have traveled 15 miles or more. It has been heard several times in the town of Troy. It has a peculiarly musical sound and the people of the parish are much attached to it and feel that it has quite a history. It has tolled the funeral of our ancestors, it gave the alarm when two of our churches were destroyed, and it is now installed in the tower of our new church, where it will once more call the people to worship.
When the brick church was blown down, Father Cleary once more shared the poverty of the people and calling them together at an early meeting, suggested
the use of the old hall as a temporary place of worship. Accordingly they moved whatever altar fixtures and other church furniture they could to the hall and celebrated mass there in a rather humble manner for about one year. During this period marriage ceremonies were consummated in private homes, but three funerals took place from the hall, namely those of Mrs. James Henry, Tom Sands and Fred Ensor. In the meantime, plans were progressing for the building of a new frame church, and a contract was let to Wm. S. Henry for the same to be built under certain specifications for the sum of $5025. It was finished in March of the following year at a final cost of $5500, and dedicated by Archbishop Kenrick.
Most of the lumber used in its construction was excellent white pine and was hauled from Clarksville. It was built across the street from the brick church, the site of which is now used as a hitch lot and parking space. The dimensions were 36 by 76 feet, 20 feet height, with belfry and spire and a height of 78 feet to the top of the cross. It was equipped with double staircases and side galleries, with thirteen pews on each side, making in all 86 pews. The bell was at first suspended from within the steeple, but as time went on the vibration began to shake the church and the steeple commenced to lean. It was then taken down and moved to a new steel belfry which was built near the southwest corner of the church. The frame church, which was in fairly good condition when recently destroyed by fire, cost $2500 less than the brick church and lasted 21 years longer. The first funeral conducted from it was that of Lawrence Flynn, a member of the building committee, and the last one that of Mrs. Tom Owens. The first wedding ceremony
performed in it was that of Jacob Norton and Lizzie Carr; the last one being H.T. Mudd and Genevieve Gentemann.
In 1866 the congregation had purchased a small brick building from Basil R. Elder, in which Father Cleary lived until 1880. It was then torn down and a modest one-story frame dwelling, costing $750, erected in which he spent the remainder of his life. In 1887, Father Cleary, in a series of lectures, stressed the value of religious education for children as conducted by the various orders of sisters and urged the building of a convent school. At his instigation, a convent building was erected at a cost of $3000 on the lot north of the church and the Ursuline Sisters established there in 1888. This was the last of Father Cleary's active work in the parish, as he had now reached the age of 76 and his strength had begun to decline. In the fall of 1893, Father P.J. Carroll was removed from Troy to assist Father Cleary through the remainder of his days.
For the benefit of the younger generation, we present the following biography and character sketch of Father Cleary, which we fear does not do him justice. He was a man of peculiar temperament, sudden in anger but quick to forgive. There was no style or pomposity about him; he dressed plainly and always treated the poorest person with as much favor as he would the richest person. He placed no value on money, and being a person of unusual generosity, his charities always kept him poor. He was fond of casual conversation and upon meeting a person would invariably ask: "What is the news?" He appreciated hearing a joke and had a hidden vein of humor himself though it seldom came to the surface. On one occasion his nephew, Father
Walsh, while visiting him, casually asked: "Is there a barber shop in Millwood?" Father Cleary, pretending to misunderstand his motives for asking the question, instantly replied: "The way is open." Father Walsh parried by saying that he had no desire to start a shop here as he judged from the signs of barbarism already noticeable that the venture would be highly unprofitable. Father Cleary was a great reader, a profound student and scholar and possessed a large library of classical books. He had some knowledge of French, Hebrew and German, was master of Greek and Latin and spoke the Irish language fluently. He was a man of sincere piety and his venerable and saintly appearance was always noticeable, whether seen walking alone in the fields with his favorite dogs, or mingling in crowds. Father Cleary was born in Drangan, Mullinahone County, Tipperary, Ireland, in the year 1812. He grew up well educated and while quite a young man, taught bothe the classics and mathematics in his native land. He came to this country in 1847, taught school in Charleston, South Carolina, and also in Columbus, Georgia, and was favored with the degree L.L.D. by the University of Charleston. In the summer of 1857, through the influence of his friend, Rev. Patrick A. Feehan, afterwards Archbishop of Chicago, he was received into the Archdiocese of St. Louis as a clerical student. In due course of time he entered Carondelet Theological Seminary, which during a part of his course of studies was under the presidency of the Rev. Edward M. Hennessy, who was none other than one of his former pupils in Ireland. On the 3rd of June, at the age of 48, he was ordained priest in the Cape Girardeau parish church by Archbishop Kenrick. His first mission as a priest was in the
capacity of assistant to Father James Fox, of Potosi, Mo., where he stayed two years, and was then pastor of the little churches of Central and Bridgeton, in St. Louis county, until his removal to Millwood.
Father Cleary departed this life on December 30,1895, from the infirm ties of old age. His remains were kept in the church two days and nights and interred on the following New Year's Day in the center of the Millwood cemetery. People of all denominations came to attend his funeral and pay to him their last respects. It was the largest crowd ever assembled at Millwood. Rev. Robt. J. Hayes, of St. Patrick's church, St. Louis, celebrated solemn requiem mass, Rev. Eugene Coyle, of the old Cathedral St. Louis, was Deacon, Rev. Father Sudeik, of Old Monroe, sub-Deacon. Rev. W.J. McLaughlin, of Hannibal, delivered the funeral sermon. Other priests present were: Rev. Michael Walsh, of Glencoe; Rev. H.S. Aertker, of St. Clements; Rev. Father Hughes, of Louisiana; Rev. J. F. Shultz, of Troy; Rev. P.J. Carroll, master of ceremonies.
Father McLaughlin preached a touching sermon on the life of Father Cleary in which he said that he would be remembered in the traditions of the parish by our children and our children's children. He spoke of the great faith and humility of Father Cleary and said that "pride fell at his feet." He also spoke of the many noble sacrifices made by him in braving the weather to visit the sick and said that the families of those who were ill or dying must surely have felt when he entered the sick room that the presence of God was there. In his peroration he concluded with the following words: "Then pray for your deceased pastor who loved you so well; that if there should be any slight stain of sin
still prevailing against him it shall instantly pass away, that the gates of Heaven will be no longer barred against him, but that he will be admitted this very day into the bosom of his Father, where he may pray for us who have yet to tarry a little longer and may praise Thee, our God, forever more, amen."
Personnel of Millwood Congregation
In describing the personnel of the Millwood congregation at different times, it is assumed to be generally understood that the Maryland Catholics and their friends were the first members of the congregation. There was also a population of very good colored people at that time and for some time afterwards, but they gradually died out and passed away. Where they once occupied a small corner in our church, they now occupy a small corner in our graveyard. They passed away before that inevitable law known as "the survival of the fittest." We have always had a small but important German population during the growth of the parish, the beginning of which was probably the Meuths and the Kosters.
The Bohemians came in the following order: Wene Novetny came with his wife and several small children and settled on a hill north of Little Lead creek some time during the 50's. His name was afterwards changed to Wm. Norton, on account of the difficulties the postmaster was having in handling his mail. For several years he worked in a lead factory in St. Louis and afterwards helped at loading railroad rails on steamboats, while his family tended the crops at home. He was a man of Herculanean strength and he did the work of two men, receiving double wages. On Saturday evenings,
after receiving his pay, he would start walking home, a distance of 70 miles, reaching there in time for dinner the following day. After eating his dinner and resting a while, he would begin his return journey, walking all night and reaching his destination on Monday morning in time to begin work again. In after years he became a wealthy farmer and land owner. He died at an advanced age, leaving a numerous family of useful descendants. Shortly after the arrival of Wm. Norton, Joseph Enger came and settled nearby, but did not remain long. Then came in the order named: Edd Black, Joseph Stanek, Emmet Peasel, the Hora and Havelicks, Lewis Kumbera, Joseph Lenk, Anthony Bauer and others. All of these people raised large families. Their grandchildren form a large part of the attendance at our school and they are giving good account of themselves. The Bohemians have shown emulative thrift and have always been ready to co-operate in anything done for the good of the parish.
While welcoming the good Bohemians to our community, we are sorry to note the gradual passing away of the Irish. There are no full-blood Irish children attending school or cathechism here now and only two or three Irish married couples. In another decade or two, the names of several prominent Irish families will have passed away. It is not that the Irish do not raise large families, but there is a tendency on the part of those families, as they grow up, to migrate and scatter, and there is a tendency on the part of the Irish boys to become old bachelors. Many of the old time irishmen were men of superior wit and humor and many of their puns and jests are still quoted by the older members of the parish. The following Irish names have become
extinct in our parish: Mckooy, Doherty, White, Hagerty, Broderick, Moon, Macmullin, Stack, Cummings, Barry, Corcoran, Mckormick, Berry, Feehan, Foley, St. John, Donahue, Campbell, Hoey, Barnable, Lalor, Mckgrath and Coffey. The following Irish names seem destined to gradually pass out of our parish life: Mansfield, Scott, McCarty, Shea, O'Brien, Curry, Byrnes, Donley, Lynch, Cunningham and O'Leary.
After Father Cleary's death, Father Carroll remained in charge of the parish and a few weeks later, at the request of the congregation, was appointed permanent pastor by Archbishop Kain. He was zealous priest, but of rather frail constitution and did not survive long. Two years later Father Healy, who was stationed here temporarily, and Father Hughes, of Louisiana, were directed to exchange places. Father Hughes remained about one year and was succeeded for a short while by Father Schulte, a German priest, who in turn gave way to Rev. P.F. Quigley, of Moberly, Mo., who had charge of the parish from 1899 to 1914. Father Quigley did considerable hard work during his residence here and made several important improvements, mainly the building of the frame church into the form of a cross by adding two wings at the west end and the erection of a modern parochial residence. In the year 1912, he became troubled with a serious kidney disorder necessitating two major operations from the effects of which he never fully recovered. While returning from the baths at Hot Springs, Ark., where he had gone to recuperate his health, early in January, 1914, he was stricken with pneumonia. Upon his arrival in St. Louis, he was removed to St. Anthony's hospital where he died on January 6th. His remains were interred in the
priests' lot at Calvary. Rev. J.P. Newman was appointed assistant to Father Quigley in June, 1905, immediately following his ordination. He remained in the parish two years, during which time he also had charge of the missions at New Hartford, Olney and Elsberry.
Rev. W.F. Carr
Our present pastor, Rev. W.F. Carr, was born June 16,1879, baptized and confirmed in St. John's church, St. Louis. He completed eight grades at St. John's parochial school and at the age of 16 took up his studies for the holy priesthood at St. Francis Seminary, Milwaukee, Wis. After one year's study at this institution, he changed to St. Benedicts College, Atchison, Kan., where six years completed a classical course. In 1901 he began a five-year course in Philosophy and Theology at Kenrick Seminary, St. Louis, where he was ordained priest June 9,1906, by the Most Rev. J.J. Glennon, D.D., and on the following day celebrated his first holy mass at St. Leo's church, of which Rev. J.I. Coffey is pastor. His first appointment was to the late Monsignior Brennan, then pastor of St. Lawrence O'Toole's. After six years, he was transferred to Monsignior Timothy Dempsey, of St. Patrick's, where he acted in the capacity of assistant for a period of nine months. On October 24,1912, he was appointed assistant to the late Rev. P.F. Quigley, arriving at Millwood October 26, where he continued in this capacity until the death of Father Quigley, when he was commissioned by the Most Rev. J.J. Glennon, D.D., to take charge of the parish.
During his fifteen years of residence here, Father Carr has endeared himself to the hearts of his people
by his kindness to them in their sorrows and has shown a preference for country tastes and rural life. On one occasion he was offered an important parish in the City of St. Louis, but preferred to remain among his people at Millwood. Social conditions, parish unity and co-operation have improved greatly under his influence. Among the several important changes that have occurred during his administration has been the reinstatement of the Ursuline Sisters at our Convent School, the organization of the Knights of Columbus Council No. 2009, and the subsequent building of their grand hall, and finally the erection of a magnificent church which will be a perpetual monument to him and to the fidelity of his people.
Before describing the new church, we will give a short account of the burning of the frame church, which occurred on December 28,1924. The fire was supposed to have started from the Infant's Crib, as the flames were first noticed in that corner of the church. It had gained such headway before it was noticed that it was impossible for those who entered the building to remain in it for any length of time, or to see through the smoke. Its destruction was most complete. Only a few altar vestments and linens were saved. The church records were kept in a vault in the parochial residence and consequently were not destroyed. Only the fact that the ground and roofs of the buildings were covered with ice at the time prevented a general destruction of church property. Since that time, including the last three years, church services have been held in the basement of the K.C. building across the street. The Knights have granted the use of their hall free for this purpose, for which they have the thanks of the entire congregation.
Ground was broken for the erection of the new brick church in March, 1926. Many delays have occurred in procuring material in time, but the work has progressed as fast as weather and other conditions would permit. After 18 months of almost incessant labor, the contractors, Woods and Claiborne, of Louisiana, have presented to the people of Millwood as fine a church as may be seen outside of the larger cities. The architect was Henry P. Hess, of St. Louis. It is built on the Romanesque type of architecture, with tower to correspond. Its dimensions are 109 by 53 feet, with 20 by 50 feet basement for the furnace and storage of coal. It is practically fireproof, well lighted and ventilated and has a seating capacity of 600. It is equipped with a steam heating plant with vapor system attached. The interior decorations or frescoe work will be taken care of as soon as the walls and ceilings have aged sufficiently. The choir galley has been built for the reception of a pipe organ which Father Carr hopes to have installed later on. The entire cost of construction when finished will be $52,000, which will include a remaining debt of about $5000. The interior of the church already presents a beautiful, inspiring appearance. Three beautiful altars of Scagliola marble have been donated as well as the statues of the Blessed Virgin, St. Joseph, the Sacred Heart, Sister St. Theresa the Little Flower and the Stations of the Cross, which are considered a rare work of art. A list of these donors, as well as the contributors to the church fund and the amounts given will be published later on. It reflects credit on the praiseworthy sacrifice of those who have accomplished this great work. Messrs. Woods and Claiborne say that our new church is of the most permanent and solid construction
and that no child now born will ever live to witness its decay.
This concludes our history of St. Alphonsus' Parish and we wish to thank all those who
have helped us by contributing literature and information. We are sensible of the
fact that many errors and omissions may have occurred in the preparation of this work, but
we hope it may be considered, as we believe it to be, the truest and most complete church
history that can be written at the present time. Ninety-one years have elapsed since
the first Catholic marriage took place in Millwood vicinity. We should reverse the
memory of those early missionary priests who suffered such hardships to carry the torch of
our faith into the homes of our forefathers, and particularly those pioneer priests who
came after them and were stationed here when the country was little more than a
wilderness. We owe also a debt of gratitude to our pioneer forefathers who civilized
the land and left us such a rich heritage in the name and fame and reputation of Millwood;
those good people who have left the imprint of their characters upon us; they who
sacrificed so much themselves and who sleep today by the side of Father
Cleary. When we think of their achievements, it should fill us with
loyalty toward our community and we should encourage our children to remain on the farms,
to walk in our footsteps and to preserve the traditions of our parish. May they be
here when we are gone to honor our graves, to perpetuate our memory, and to keep alive the
faith our fathers established here.
Index of Names
Aertker, Rev. H.S. 33
Barnable, family of 36
Barry, family of 36
Bauer, Anthony 35
Berry, family of 36
Birkhead, Dr. 10
Black, Edd 35
Brennan, Monsignior 37
Broderick, family of 36
Bury, Mr. 23
Byrnes, family of 36
Byrnes, Miss Sarah 22
Byrnes, Thomas 29
Calhoun, Jim 6
Campbell, family of 36
Carr, Lizzie 31
Carr, Rev. Father W.F. 37, 39
Carroll, Father J.P. 31, 33, 36
Clare, Allen 5
Clare, Daniel 5
Clare, John 16
Clay, Henry 5
Cleary, Rev. Father Thomas 26, 28, 29, 31, 32, 33, 36, 40
Coffey, family of 36
Coffey, Rev. J.I. 37
Corcoran, Dr. 10
Corcoran, family of 36
Corley, Henry 9
Cottle, Ned 4
Cox, Col. 6
Coyle, Rev. Eugene 33
Crider, Enoch 20
Cummings, Emmett 9, 24
Cummings, family of 36
Cummings, Father 26, 27
Cummins, Emmett 20
Cummins, Timothy 19
Cunningham, family of 36
Curry, family of 36
Dempsey, Monsignior Timothy 37
Doherty, family of 36
Donahue, family of 36
Donley, family of 36
Dryden, Francis 22
Duggan, Right Rev. James 20
Dyer, Fleming 22
Dyer, Flemma 22
Dyer, George J. 17, 18
Edelen, Alonzo 19
Elder, Basil R. 9, 31
Elder, Robt. 10, 25
Elder, Wm. 9
Ellis, Clark 5
Enger, Joseph 35
Ensor, Fred 30
Feehan, Archbishop 19
Feehan, family of 19, 36
Feehan, Rev. Patrick A. 32
Fleming, Father 22
Fletcher, Ben 3
Fletcher, Thomas J. 16, 18, 19
Flood, Thomas 19
Flynn, Lawrence 30
Foley, family of 36
Foley, John 9
Fox, Rev. James 33
Gardiner, Isadore 18
Gentemann, Genevieve 31
Gilliland, John 5
Gilmore, James 5
Gilmore, Judge 5
Glennon, Most Rev. J.J. 37
Griffin, John 11
Hagerty, family of 36
Hall, Adam 6
Hammett, Col. 9
Hammond, Thos. 3, 4, 5
Hammonds, Wm. 19
Havelick, family of 35
Hayden, Dr. 16
Hayes, Rev. Robt. J. 33
Healy, Father 25, 36
Hendrickson, Mr. 23
Hennessy, Rev. Edward M. 32
Henry, Ben 9
Henry, Jeremiah 6
Henry, Mrs. James 30
Henry, Wm. S. 10, 30
Hess, Henry P. 39
Hoey, family of 36
Hora, family of 35
Hughes, Rev. Father 33, 36
Huston, Sheriff 6
Jameson, Squire (George) 4, 5, 6
Kain, Archbishop 36
Kenrick, Archbishop 21, 23, 26, 30, 32
Kimler, Daniel 6
Kinion, Benj. 5
Knights of Columbus 38
Knulls, Jacob 4
Koster, family of 34
Koster, Joseph 19
Kumbera, Lewis 35
Lalor, family of 36
Leake, Dr. 10
Lefevre, Father 19
Legg, Mrs. Celia 24
Lenk, Joseph 35
Lynch, family of 36
Lyne, Father 20, 22, 23, 25, 26, 29
Lyons, family of 17
Lyons, place of 25
Macmullin, family of 36
Mansfield, family of 36
Mathias, Mr. 11
Mattingly, Stephen 19
Mattingly, Thomas J. 21
Mattingly, Wm. 9
Maxwell, Mr. 11
McCarty, family of 36
McGowan, Tom 6
McKay, Dr. Solomon R. 10
Mckgrath, family of 36
Mckooy, family of 36
Mckormick, family of 36
McLaughlin, Rev. W.J. 33
Meuths, family of 34
Moon, family of 36
Moore, family of 6
Moore, John 5, 6
Morris, family of 6
Mudd, Alexander 18
Mudd, Alphonsus 19
Mudd, Ann Maria 20
Mudd, Athanasius 18
Mudd, brothers 13
Mudd, Dan H. 9
Mudd, Daniel Lyne 22
Mudd, Dayton 16
Mudd, Dorothy 16
Mudd, Dr. Dory 10
Mudd, Dr. George Henry 10
Mudd, Dr. Hilary P. 5, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 21
Mudd, Dr. Joseph A. 3, 12, 20
Mudd, Edward 16
Mudd, Eliza 19
Mudd, Francis L. 18
Mudd, Gus 26
Mudd, H.T. 31
Mudd, Henry T. 18
Mudd, Jack 22
Mudd, James H. 18
Mudd, James Philip 21
Mudd, Judge Henry T. 9, 11, 14, 15
Mudd, Luke 18
Mudd, Nathaniel 16, 18, 20
Mudd, Nick 9
Mudd, Raymond 18
Mudd, Robert 18
Mudd, Syl. 19
Mudd, Thomas Nathaniel 16
Mudds, of Kentucky 18
Mudds, of Maryland 18
Mulholland, Father 29
Murphy, Father James 20
Murphy, Garret 22
Murphy, Johanna 26
Newman, Rev. J.P. 37
Nichols, Wright 9
Norton, Jacob 31
Norton, Wm. 34
Novetny, Wene 34
O'Brien, family of 36
O'Brien, Matt 15
O'Hanlon, Father John Canon 20, 21
O'Leary, family of 36
O'Regan, Father 25, 26
Owens, Mrs. Tom 30
Palmer, Nick 6
Paris, Mr. 4
Parks, Berry 5
Peasel, Emmet 35
Quarton, Squire 10
Quigley, Rev. Father P.F. 36, 37
Rector, Tom 6
Ricks, John 6
Rosatti, Bishop 21
Rush, Martin 17, 19
Salmonds, Nathan 10
Salmons, J.K. 6
Sands, family of 16, 17, 18
Sands, Miss Kitty 20
Sands, place of 19
Sands, Sam 9
Sands, Tom 9, 30
Schneidler, Louis 12
Schulte, Father 36
Scott, family of 36
Scott, Miss Ella 26
Seymour, John 6
Shea, family of 36
Shocklee, George 25
Shoemaker, Dr. 10
Shultz, Rev. J.F. 33
Sitton, Philip 5
Sitton, Robt. 5
Sitton, Wm. Broyles 5
Smidt, Father 16
St. John, family of 36
Stack, family of 36
Stanek, Joseph 35
Stephens, Stephen A. 6
Stuckstede, J.G. and Brother 29
Sudeik, Rev. Father 33
Sweeny, Harriet 25
Taylor, Dr. 10
Trail, Hurley 5
Trail, Wm. 5
Uptegrove, family of 6
Ursuline Sisters 31, 38
Walsh, Father Michael 29, 31, 32, 33
Walters, Father 16, 20
Webster, Daniel 22
Wells, Elizabeth 20
Wells, Joseph 8, 20
Wheatly, Matt 6
Wheeler, Father Robert 21
White, family of 36
White, Father 13
White, Nicholas 19
Williams, A.H. 6
Williams, B.R. 6
Williams, Beverly (Mr.) 19
Williams, Rom 6
Wilson, family of 6
Wilson, Josiah 6
Wommack, Capt. Richard 5, 8, 11, 17
Wommack, Dr. H.B. 10
Woods and Claiborne 39
Worland, Mrs. Ben Mudd 20
Worland, Wm. 19
Yaocomico, King 14
Young, Bailey 6
NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free genealogical information on the Internet, data may be freely used for personal research and by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced or redistributed in any format for profit or gain, nor presented by other organization or persons. Copying of the files within by non-commercial individuals and libraries is encouraged. Any other use, including publication, storage in a retrieval system, or transmission by electronic, mechanical, or other means requires the written approval of the file's author and the county coordinator.
Return to USGW/MOGW Lincoln County, Missouri
History Page | Home Page
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 05/08/2000.
Thanks for dropping in to visit our Lincoln County History Page!