Polk County Biographies by Goodspeed
STERLING BROWN MILES
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 678, 679--Polk County Biographies Section
Col. Sterling Brown Miles, who may be mentioned as one of the prosperous farmers and stockmen of Polk County, Mo., was born in Wilson County, Tenn., February 5, 1822, being a son of Thomas and Margaret (Smith) Miles, who were born in Virginia and Tennessee, respectively. The former was a farmer and trader by occupation, and a son of a Revolutionary War soldier, who settled in Rutherford County, Tenn., and died there at the ripe old age of ninety-eight, his wife dying at the age of 104. The Miles family are of English descent, men of medium stature, of strong physique, and long lived. They were Methodist in religious belief. Margaret Smith was a daughter of John Smith, an Englishman. In 1840 Thomas Miles came to Missouri and made a settlement in Hickory County, where he lived until his death in 1862, at the age of eighty-four, his wife dying in 1864 at the age of eighty years. In 1850 Sterling Brown Miles went to California and spent one year in the mines of that State, and saved considerable money, which he brought back with him to Hickory County, Mo., and invested in property in Hickory County. During the war he moved to Kansas in 1863, but in 1867 he returned to Missouri and bought property in Polk County, where he has farmed ever since. While a resident of Hickory County he was married in 1847 to Miss Mary Lane Montgomery, a native of Tennessee, a daughter of Judge Joseph C. Montgomery, whose sketch appears in this work. By her he became the father of five sons and three daughters; Thomas C., of Livingston, Mont.; Lafayette Montgomery, also of Livingston, Mont., both being engaged in the livery and grain business and wealthy men; Almira, whom they buried at the untimely age of seventeen years in 1869; James Livingston, of Polk County, Mo., who is a prosperous farmer; Adella and Isabella (twin daughters); Lynn Boyd and Dr. Edward Doak, of Brownington, Henry County, Mo. Previous to the war Mr. Miles was colonel under the old militia system, and during the war, while a resident of Kansas, was captain of a company of militia. In 1878-79 he represented Polk County in the Legislative Assembly, being elected as a Democrat in a county strongly Republican, but notwithstanding this he has always felt averse to holding public office. He is a Mason, and he and wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church. He owns a finely improved and well stocked farm of 400 acres.~~>TOP<~~
JOHN HORACE MILLER
John Horace MILLER was born on Aug 23, 1904 in Mike, Chariton
County, Missouri, the son of Henry Fredric and Barbara Elizabeth "Bessie" DOWELL
MILLER. He passed away at 1:15 a.m. Friday, Jan. 9, 2004, in Citizens Memorial
Healthcare Facility. [Polk Co., MO]
Horace graduated from Brookfield High School, Brookfield, Missouri in 1925, and worked at the photography studio nearby. He secretly made copies of the pictures that were used in the school annuals for himself, and many.
In 1926, the family moved to a farm outside of Pleasant Hope. He met and later married his sweetheart of 73 years, Georgia Marie CHAPMAN, daughter of John P. CHAPMAN and Allie Sarah BURDETT, on March 17, 1928 at Rock Prairie Church, Polk County, MO.
They made their home outside of Pleasant Hope, and in 1932, they bought 80 acres of timber close to the Rock Prairie Church and School, and built their home there. He began working for the school when he hauled wood from Rock Prairie to Pleasant Hope School, using a 4 horse team and wagon, through all kinds of weather, including rain and mud. In 1935, Horace started driving a van to Pleasant Hope High School with boys and girls who wanted to attend high school. After two years, he built a regular school bus and continued to drive a school bus for 30 years.
In 1941, they moved to Pleasant Hope and in 1950 they moved to the Yates place just north of the school where they lived for 10 years. In 1962, Horace and Georgia decided to buy mobile homes to rent, and in
1970, their ownership of these homes had grown to 16, in 2 mobile home parks.
For many years, Horace would load up his school bus with community youth and take the youth to Springfield to see a movie. Those who rode the bus, got in to see the movie for a dime because he had arranged a discount at the theater for the youth.
Horace has been a pillar of the Pleasant Hope community for as long as many can remember. He was the water commissioner for many years, the Mayor, and played an active part in the City Council and creation of the city’s sewer system. He took pride in his giving back to his community and was especially proud of the city water system that he was instrumental in getting, and the new city park where he was honored in
the opening ceremony when the mayor presented him with a key to the city. He proudly carried that key with him and showed it off to everyone he saw. At the age of 90, he was awarded “Southwest Missouri’s
Older Worker of the Year” award.
Both he and Georgia enjoyed the Christmas parades where they showed their ponies and hand made wagons that Horace had made. He had taken up the hobby of raising Shetland ponies at the age of 70 and enjoyed it immensely. Riding in the Bolivar and Pleasant Hope parades was a joy for them, as they dressed in the pioneer clothing and brought a sense of history to the area. They won many awards which also made Horace proud.
Both he and Georgia were members of 1st Baptist Church in Pleasant Hope, and attended faithfully until their health did not permit it. He accepted Jesus as his Savior at a young age and became a deacon and
trustee in his church. He lived a Christ like life throughout his 99 years and was a true example of a Christian husband and father.
He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife of 73 years, 2 brothers, and 1 sister. Horace is survived by two sons and their wives, Chester and Mary Ann Ferguson Miller of Forsythe, MO; John and Lanita
Sconce Miller of Wichita, KS; one daughter and her husband, Velma and Jim Stevens of Pleasant Hope; one sister, Jean Thaden, of Bolivar, MO; 2 grandsons; 2 granddaughters; 1 great grandson, nieces, nephews and a host of neighbors and friends.
Services were Sunday, Jan. 11, in the First Baptist Church in Pleasant Hope. Music was provided by Mark Sconce as soloist and Wandalea Sconce as pianist. Casket bearers were Mickey Hillenburg, Patrick Murphy, Larry Cowden, Wes Campbell, Dwight Kibby and Rick Davis. Burial was in the Pleasant Hope Cemetery under the direction of the Butler Funeral Home of Bolivar.
Submitted by: Lanita Sconce Miller <ozarkn /at / southwind.net>
JOHN W. MILLER
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 679--Polk County Biographies Section
John W. Miller, M. D., one of the successful and eminent practitioners of Morrisville, Polk County, Mo., is the son of George and Elizabeth Miller, who were natives of Kentucky, born in 1806 and 1815, respectively. Grandfather Miller was from Londonderry, Ireland, and his wife from Germany. Dr. John Gray, grandfather of our subject, was of English descent. George and Elizabeth Miller remained in Kentucky until 1843, when they moved to Cooper County, Mo., and nine years later to Bentonville, Ark, where they remained in 1862, and then they came to Polk County. Here Mr. Miller is now living with his son, Dr. John W. Miller. His wife, who died in 1870, was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, as is also her husband, who has been a member for fifty years. He was a Whig before the war but has since then been a Democrat in his political views. By occupation he has been a cabinet-maker and house carpenter all his life. In their family were two children, a son and daughter. The eldest, John W., was born January 11, 1842, and when thirteen years of age, was using his father's hand-ax, when, by accident, he cut the tendon of his right heel, and for eight years went on crutches. He received a limited education, and at the age of eighteen years began studying medicine under Dr. John Gray. After prosecuting his studies for three years, when war broke out and forced upon him a practice, which, with poverty, kept him from attending medical lectures. He moved to Greene County in 1863, and in 1865 to this county, where he has practiced ever since. March 16, 1869, he married Miss Mollie Winton, a native of Greene County, and the daughter of Rev. G. M. Winton. Five children were born to this marriage; Bertie J., G. Claude, Grace, W. Glenn and Max. Both Dr. and Mrs. Miller are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. After living on a farm until 1883 he moved to Morrisville, and now has one of the finest drug stores in the town. Aside from this he is the owner of 183 acres of land, four mile south of Morrisville, on Sac River. For twenty-six years he has been a practitioner of Polk County, and has met with unusual success. He is a member of the Bolivar Medical Society; belongs to the Masonic fraternity, and the A. O. U. W., and in his political views affiliates with the Democratic party.~~>TOP<~~
WILLIAM B. MITCHELL
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 679, 680--Polk County Biographies Section
William B. Mitchell, farmer, and county collector of Polk County, Mo., was born in
Blount County, Tenn., February 27, 1826, his parents being James and Sally (Nave)
Mitchell. The father was born in Tennessee about 1786, and in 1803 removed to Roane
County, where he was married, it is supposed, about five years later. He was a minister of
the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in 1834 moved to Polk County, Mo., where he followed
his calling up to the time of his death, in 1876. His wife was born in Tennessee in 1790,
and died in Polk County, Mo., in 1853. Her union with Mr. Mitchell resulted in the birth
of fourteen children, eight of whom survive. Morris Mitchell, the paternal grandfather,
was born in Pennsylvania, about 1762, and afterward emigrated to Tennessee, thence to Polk
County, Mo., in 1835, where he died in 1848. His wife died also in Polk County, in 1853 or
1854. George Nave, the maternal grandfather, came from Germany and located in Tennessee in
the twenties, and there died in 1828 or 1830. His wife survived him a number of years.
William B. Mitchell grew to manhood in Polk County, Mo., and in 1846 enlisted in the
Mexican War, under Price, serving in Company H. Second Missouri Volunteers, for twelve
months, and then returned home and was married in Polk County, in February, 1848, To Miss
Cynthia Harrison, who was born in Williamsport, Ind., in 1830, and came to Lewis County,
Mo., with his parents in 1838, and to Polk County, in 1844. Eleven of their twelve
children survive: Rebecca E. (Myers), Sarah M. (Tuck), Thomas H., A. M., Justin C.,
William C. (deceased), Walter E., Emma E. (Tuck), Cynthia A. (Utley), E. Benson, Sebern S.
and Horace V. Mrs. Mitchell is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1858 Mr.
Mitchell was elected on the Benton Democratic ticket as sheriff and collector of Polk
County, Mo., and after serving two years was re-elected tot he same office for two more
years. In July, 1862, he was mustered into the militia, Company F, Twenty-sixth Regiment,
as a private, and was promoted to the rank of major the same day, and at the end of one
year was made major of the Seventh Provisional Regiment of Missouri. In 1864 his regiment
was transferred to the United States service, and he was a faithful officer until the
close of the war. He received his discharge at Springfield, Mo., in July, 1865, having
participated in a number of hard-fought battles. In 1876 he was elected on the Republican
ticket to represent Polk County in the State Legislature, serving two years, and, in the
fall election of 1888, he was elected by the same party to his present position. He
belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Masonic fraternities, and also to the
Grand Army of the Republic. Like his wife, he is a consistent member of the Methodist
BENJAMIN W. MITCHELL
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 680, 681--Polk County Biographies Section
Benjamin W. Mitchell. One of the prominent and early settled families of Polk County, Mo., was the Mitchell family, who came here some time in the thirties. Rev. Morris Mitchell and wife were early setlers [sic] of Knox County, Tenn., from Maryland, and in the thirties came to Polk County, Mo., where they joined their children. Here both died. He lived to see eighteen of the family Methodist preachers, and his wife lived to see 702 of her kinfolks by direct descent and marriage. Rev. James Mitchell, their son, and the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a Methodist minister for over sixty years. He was born in Knox County, Tenn., and was of English and German descent. For a companion in life he took Miss Sarah Nave, a native of Virginia, and also of English-German descent. After marriage they lived in East Tennessee until 1834, when they moved to Polk County, Mo. Their family consisted of fourteen children, eight sons and six daughters, Morris Mitchell being the second in order of birth, the same occurring September 17, 1810, in Blount County, Tenn. He never attended school to exceed three months, and then in the old puncheon floor school-house. After reaching manhood, he acquired sufficient education to transact all kinds of business. August 2, 1832, he married Miss Rebecca Ewing, a native of Roane County, Tenn., born in 1812. In 1834 they moved to Polk County, and the following year he was elected justice of the peace, in which capacity he served about twenty-five years. From 1850 to 1852 he was sheriff of Polk County, and in 1856 he was elected assessor. His chief business in life has been farming, at which he has been quite successful, and, although he came to this county in another man's wagon, and was left her with one horse and eight dollars in money, he arose to the ownership of 500 hundred acres of good land, and is now one of the substantial citizens of the county. He has been a Democrat all his life. In 1872 the town of Morrisville was named in honor of him, and he secured the first office of which he was made postmaster, and which office he held for six years. In 1881 his wife died. In their family were eight children, five sons and three daughters, five of whom are still living. Benjamin W. Mitchell, the youngest but one living, was born in Polk County, Mo., March 24, 1844, and, on reaching manhood, clerked for two years in Bolivar. In 1872 he opened a drugstore in Morrisville, which he carried on until 1881, when he engaged in general merchandising, with T. W. Cunnyngham as partner. They have the largest stock in the town, and, in connection, carry on farming, owning 145 acres adjoining the town. In 1867 he married Miss Anna Hunt, a native of Polk County, who died a year later. For his second wife he chose Miss Cora Robinson, who bore him three children--Morris E., Joseph D., and Roma. He and wife are both members of the Methodist Church, and are active workers in the same. He is a Democrat in politics, is a Royal Arch Mason of Pleasant Lodge No. 160, and has been Worshipful Master of the same for eight years.~~>TOP<~~
AUSTIN A. MITCHELL
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 682--Polk County Biographies Section
Austin A. Mitchell, treasurer of Polk County, was born in this county September 13,
1858. The Mitchell family traces its ancestry to three brothers, who came from England in
an early day. The father of our subject, Stephen C. Mitchell, was born in Blount County,
Tenn., in 1831, and came to this county when only four years old, where he grew to manhood
and married Martha Hendricks, of Arkansas, by whom he had a family of eight children. He
served in the late war as a Union soldier till 1864, when he resigned as second
lieutenant. The subject of this sketch received his education in the Bolivar schools, and
in the Southwest Baptist College. Having clerked for his father till 1885, he became his
partner in business, and in 1886 was elected county treasurer, and re-elected in 1888. In
September, 1887, he married Lizzie B. Morrow, and they have one girl. He is a Republican,
a member of the I.O.O.F and K. of P. He is the youngest county official, and an efficient
JOHN B. ELLIS
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 682, 683--Polk County Biographies Section
Rev. John B. Ellis, president of Morrisville College, was born in
Robertson County, Tenn., February 14, 1848, where he was reared and received his early
education. After leaving the public schools he attended Calender's High School, of Sumner
County, Tenn., then taught two years, and then spent two years in Union College of West
Tennessee, lacking only four months of graduating as a Ph. B. He again turned his
attention to teaching, and in 1875 came to Greene County, where he taught several schools.
In 1876 he returned to Tennessee, and married Miss Eliza T. Matthews, a native of Sumner
County, Tenn., after which he returned to Missouri and joined the Southwest Missouri
Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and was actively engaged in his
ministerial duties until 1886, filling positions at Neosho, Marshfield, Westport, etc. He
was presiding elder of Springfield District from 1883 to 1886, when he was elected
president of Morrisville College. Mrs. Ellis is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, South. In their family are five children: Mattielou, Rebecca M., John A., Lida L.
and William P. Prof. Ellis is a member of the Masonic order, and a prominent man in the
county. His parents, Green D. and Rebecca (Deal) Ellis, were both natives of Davidson
County, Tenn. The great-grandfather Ellis was an Englishman, who came to this country at
an early day, settling in North Carolina, and from there the younger members of the family
found their way to Tennessee. The father of our subject was born in 1803, and the mother
in 1816. After growing up, they were married in Davidson County, Tenn., in 1835, and for a
livelihood the father followed farming, though he taught school in early life. Both he and
wife were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In their family were nine
children, seven sons and two daughters. He died in 1879, and she in 1887. He was a Whig in
D. A. MURPHY
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 683--Polk County Biographies Section
D. A. Murphy, ex-assessor of Polk County, Mo., was born in Greene County, of the same State, in 1859, and is the son of D. R. and Lucy A. (Gore) Murphy. The father was born in Knox County, Tenn., November 24, 1802, and grew to manhood in that State. He was married there, and reared a large family of children. He emigrated to Missouri in 1839, locating in Cedar County, where he lost his first wife. He was then married to Mrs. Lucy A. (Gore) Allen, who was the mother of four children by Mr. Allan. By her second marriage she became the mother of five children, D. A. Murphy being second in order of birth. Mrs. Murphy is still living, and resides near Fowler City, Kan., with her youngest son. D. R. Murphy was a minister in the Missionary Baptist Church, was one of the pioneer preachers of the county, was a Union man during the late way, and at that time served as chaplain in the Federal army. He died August 28, 1875. The paternal grandfather was a native of Ireland, and was an officer in the Revolutionary War. He died in Polk County at an advanced age. D. A. Murphy has been a resident of Polk County since the spring of 1869, when his father moved to Humansville. During the early days he received a common school education, and later engaged as clerk in the mercantile establishment of Barnett & Paxton, and remained with the firm seven years. He then embarked in the boot and shoe business for himself, and followed the same for three years, and, subsequently, was nominated for assessor on the Republican ticket in 1886, and was elected. In order to attend to his office, he closed out his boot and shoe business in the spring of 1887, and has since devoted himself to duties of assessing. He received the nomination for this position without seeking it. He was married to Miss Emma Barnett, December 23, 1883, and the fruits of this union are two children: Leslie B. and Bessie Lee. Mr. Murphy is a Republican, as could have been guessed with out adding this, by the above statements. He is a member of Modern Lodge No. 144, A. F. & A. M.; also of Bolivar Royal Arch Chapter No. 5.~~>TOP<~~
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri
1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 683, 684, 685--Polk County Biographies Section
L. C. NEIL
Dr. L. C. Neil, physician and surgeon of Aldrich, Mo., was born in Williamson County, Tenn., June 26, 1854, and is the son of Dr. S. B. and Margaret M. (Roundtree) Neil, natives of Bedford County, Tenn., and Maury County, Tenn., respectively. The paternal grandfather, William Neil, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1771, and when fourteen years of age emigrated to America and landed in Charleston, S. C. He was married in Mecklenburgh County, N. C., to Miss Sarah Calhoun, a native of North Carolina, born about 1795, and after marriage they emigrated to Maury County, Tenn., in 1806, where the grandfather followed agricultural pursuits. He died there in 1852. They were the parents of ten children, two now living. The maternal grandfather, David Roundtree, was born in Maury County, Tenn., in 1807, and there grew to manhood. He married Miss Victoria McKee about 1826 or 1827 and came to Polk County, Mo., in 1840. Six years later he returned to his native State, but in 1855 he again returned to Polk County. He was a farmer by occupation, and died in Polk County, Mo., in 1867. His wife was born in 1810, in Maury County, Tenn., and died in Polk County, Mo., in 1879. They were the parents of fifteen children, seven now living. Dr. S. B. Neil, father of our subject, was born December 7, 1825, and spent his boyhood days in the place of his birth. He began the study of medicine in 1849, under Drs. Eberlee and Kincaid, remaining under their preceptorship two years. He then attended his first course of lectures at Missouri Medical College at St. Louis in 1850-51, after which he returned to Marshall County, Tenn., and began the practice of his profession, continuing six years. He then attended his second course of lectures at Nashville, Tenn., in 1855-56, and graduated in the class of the latter year, receiving the degree of M. D. He was married in Marshall County, Tenn., in October, 1851, to Miss Roundtree, and afterward moved to Williamson County, Tenn., where he practiced one year. He then returned to Marshall County, remained two years, and then, in December, 1855, he came to Cedar County, Mo. From there he moved to Dade County in 1857, and from there to Polk County, in 1859. In 1863 he moved to Cooper County, Mo., remained there two years, and then returned to Polk County in 1865. He was appointed postmaster at Aldrich in 1887. He is a Democrat in politics, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. To his marriage were born five children: Sallie V., now Mrs. Emerson; Leonidas C.; Margaret A., now Mrs. Hines; Fannie P., now Mrs. Dillard; and Eberlee K., who is one of the most promising dental surgeons of Southwest Missouri, his practice being principally in Polk and adjoining counties. The mother was a member of the Christian Church, and died November 4, 1880. Dr. L. C. Neil spent his boyhood days in Polk County, and began the study of medicine in 1881, under Dr. Weaver, of Bolivar. He studied with a preceptor for six months, and then continued to study with his father for two years. He attended lectures at Missouri Medical College, St. Louis, during 1883-84, after which he returned to Polk County. In 1884 he again entered the college, and graduated in the following year with the degree of M. D., after which he began practicing in Polk County. He was married in 1881, to Miss Lucy Fisk, a native of Dade County, Mo., born in March, 1855, and the daughter of Elder Nathaniel and Martha H. (Goodpasture) Fisk. She grew to womanhood in Springfield, Mo., and has been a member of the Christian Church from early girlhood. Dr. Neil's family consists of himself, wife, and niece, Willie Fisk. Willie Fisk was born February 26, 1878. Dr. Neil is a Democrat in politics, is a member of Polk County Medical Society, and is one of the promising young physicians of the county. Mrs. Neil has been a member of the Christian Church for ten years.
ELWOOD SMITH ODOR
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 685--Polk County Biographies Section
Elwood Smith Odor, M. D., of Bolivar and vicinity, was born in Culpeper County, Va., October 11, 1818, and is the son of Elwood and Nancy (Wigfield) Odor. The father was a farmer by occupation, and had been a soldier in the War of 1812. In 1823 he went on a collecting tour, and had obtained a large sum of money, for which, it is supposed, he was killed, as nothing was ever heard of him. The family subsequently, in 1830, moved to Coshocton County, Ohio, where the mother died in 1861, at the age of eighty years. She was a member of the Baptist Church. In their family were seven children, four sons and three daughters, and Dr. Odor is the only one now living. He was reared to farm life, and received his education in the common schools, and also by individual study. Having farmed until thirty years of age, he began to read medicine on account of his poor health. After spending some time in a private institution, he began to practice, and in 1852-53 he took a course of lectures at the Eclectic Medical Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio. He then practiced in Ohio until 1861, when he moved to Illinois. In December, 1867, he came to Bolivar, and has enjoyed a good practice since. April 7, 1842, he married Miss Martha McMorris, a native of Virginia, and to them were born ten children, six living: Celia, Joseph T.; William S., a graduate of the American Medical College, St. Louis, and associated with his father in the practice; Ottoman C., Otho G. and John M. Dr. Odor has practiced his profession for thirty-eight years, and for twenty-one years in this county, and has been very successful. He is a Republican in politics, and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church.
NATHAN W. OKEY
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 685, 686--Polk County Biographies Section
Nathan W. Okey, stock-breeder, was born in Monroe County, Ohio, February 19, 1823, and is the son of Arthur and Sophia (Hollister) Okey. The father was born in Delaware, October 5, 1786, and the mother was born in Connecticut, October 14, 1789. When young they came with their parents to Ohio, and were among the early settlers. Here they were married, and here passed their entire lives. He was an extensive farmer and stock-dealer, and often drove stock to Philadelphia, as there were at that time no railroads. He was a strong Whig in his political views; and he and wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He died July 4, 1838, from the effects of having a tooth pulled. His wife died October 17, 1876. In their family were eight children, six sons and two daughters, and the fourth child in order of birth was Nathan W. Okey. Like the average country boy he received a good practical education in the common schools, but later attended Woodsfield College. Like a dutiful son he remained with his mother until he married, and then she made her home with him. March 25, 1846, he married Miss Maria J. Belt, a native of Monroe County, Ohio, born July 5, 1826, and the fruits of this union were nine children, eight now living: Sarah M., Hannah L., Milton G., Arthur S., John H., Archie M., Jennie M., Haddie L. and Laura. Both Mr. and Mrs. Okey are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Having lived in Ohio until 1866, he came to this county and followed tilling the soil until 1887, when he removed to Morrisville. He owned 338 acres of land, which he sold on coming to town. He now pays some attention to the raising of stock. He has a fine Lexington and Pilot horse and a good jack. He is a Republican in politics.~~>TOP<~~
IRA O. PARRISH
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 686, 687--Polk County Biographies Section
Ira O. Parrish, an old and well-known citizen of Polk County,
Mo., was born near where he now lives, June 26, 1842, being a son of Barnett P. and Emeline (Wright) Parrish, who were born in Ohio and Illinois respectively. The father was
born on the 13th of September, 1818, and is still living, a resident of Taney County, Mo.
The mother died there in 1867, and after her death Mr. Parrish wedded Miss Mary Harris,
who has since died. His present wife was Rebecca Frazier. When a young boy he was taken by
his parents to Indiana, and there resided until manhood, when he moved to Polk County,
Mo., and in 1866 to Taney County, where he has since resided. He has been a farmer all his
life, and as such has been quite successful. During the Mexican War he served in Gen.
Price's regiment, and was in several skirmishes. In 1862 he enlisted in the Enrolled State
Militia, but only served about one year. He is a Republican in politics. His father, who
also bore the name of Ira, it is supposed was born in Ohio, and his death occurred in Polk
County, Mo. Ira O. Parrish, the immediate subject of this sketch, is the second of seven
surviving members of a family of eleven children, ten of whom lived to maturity, and
remained at home until August, 1861, when he enlisted in the same regiment in which his
father served, and remained with it until December, 1861. In 1863 he enlisted in Company L
of the Fifteenth Missouri Federal Service, and received his discharge in July, 1865,
having been in several battles when Price made his last raid through Missouri, holding the
rank of orderly sergeant. After his return from the war he turned his attention to farming
and stock raising, being also an extensive dealer in stock. He began life without means,
but is now the owner of a well-improved and well-located farm. February 20, 1862, he
married Miss Nancy Mary Burnes, a daughter of Thomas J. Burnes, Sr. Mrs. Parrish was born
in Georgia, November 14, 1841, and died in Polk County, Mo., in 1863; and September 17,
1866, Mr. Parrish married Mary J. Armour, a daughter of Robert A. Armour. She was born in
Giles County, Tenn., June 27, 1841, and she and Mr. Parrish are the parents of five
children: William Franklin, Albert H., Emory W., L. B. and Ora E. Mr. Parrish is a Master
Mason, and he and family worship in the Cumberland Church, of which he and wife are
JESSE R. PAYNE
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 687--Polk County Biographies Section
Jesse R. Payne, when a small boy, emigrated with his parents,
Joseph C. and Anna (Johnson) Payne, from his native county, Washington, in Tennessee, to
Missouri, and located on a farm on what was known as Sentinel Prairie. His parents were
married in 1819 in Hawkins County, Tenn. (the mother's native county), but made their home
in Washington County, where the father was born, until coming to Missouri. The father was
a successful farmer, having started in life with no means, but at the time of his death,
October 11, 1858, at the age of sixty years six months and two days, he was one of the
substantial citizens of the county. He was a life-long Democrat. The mother died April 13,
1878, at the age of seventy-five years eleven months and sixteen days, having been an
earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years. Both parents were of
English descent, and the paternal grandfather, Jesse Payne, served in the Revolutionary
War. Six of their eleven children are now living, Jesse R. being the only son. He was born
on the 24th of August, 1839, and remained at home until his father's death, when he turned
his attention to farming and stock raising and dealing, and now owns 800 acres of land,
some of the finest in Polk County. On the 14th of June, 1874, he wedded Miss Sarah E. Bewley, a daughter of William and Martha Ann (Davis) Bewley. She was born June 30, 1855,
and by Mr. Payne is the mother of the following family: William Elbert, Ann E., Nancy C.,
John H., Martha Pearl and James L. The family attend the Missionary Baptist Church, of
which the father and mother are members, and the former has been a life-long Democrat. He
and his brother, John H., were partners in business from boyhood until the latter's death
on the 2d of June, 1882. They began at the foot of the ladder, and became very successful
financiers. Mr. Payne's brothers and sisters are as follows: Polly A., who died in July,
1884; Elizabeth, who is a resident of Polk County; James F., who died October 18, 1866;
Sarah, wife of Isaac Wainscot, of Bates County, Mo.; Alsey, wife of Barnett S. Wainscot,
also of Bates County; Elbert E., who died September 25, 1853; John H. N., who was born on
the 24th of August, 1834, and died June 2, 1882; Elender J., wife of Y. M. Pitts, of
Hickory County, Mo.; William J. J., who died in infancy; and Lucinda, wife of T. W.
Simpson, of California.
JOHN W. PAYNTER
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 687, 688--Polk County Biographies Section
John W. Paynter, of the Fair Play Mercantile Company, of Fair
Play, Polk County, Mo., was born in Cedar County, Mo., February 8, 1867, and supplemented
his common school education with a course at Ash Grove College, Greene County, Mo. After
leaving school he entered his father's store, and engaged in mercantile pursuits, which he
continued until September 1, 1887, when he became a member of the general mercantile firm
of Fox, Potts & Paynter, at Fair Play. Immediately after becoming a member of the
firm, they were burned out, but sustained only a small loss, on account of the insurance,
and being able to save some of the goods. The firm continued as Fox, Potts & Paynter
until December, 1887, when the firm title was changed to Fair Play Mercantile Company, and
thus it still continues. They carry form $8,000 to $10,000 worth of goods, with an annual
sale of $30,000. They do considerable jobbing work, and constantly employ four men. Mr.
Paynter is the son of C. W. and Margaret A. (Jackson) Paynter, natives of Virginia and
Tennessee respectively. C. W. Paynter was born in 1845, and came to Missouri before
marriage, locating on a farm in Cedar County. Later he engaged in merchandising on Bear
Creek, Cedar County, and there his is occupied in business at the present time. During the
late war he donned his suit of blue, shouldered his musket, went out in defense of his
country, and served three years. He was married to Miss Margaret A. Jackson, in Cedar
County, and to them were born three children: John W., Elsie and Mary. The mother died in
Cedar County about 1873. The paternal grandfather, Huston S. Paynter, was a native of
Virginia, and came to Missouri, where he died. He was a farmer by occupation. The
great-grandfather Paynter was a native of Germany, and emigrated to America at an early
date. He was a strong, active man. The maternal grandfather is a native of Tennessee, is
still living, and is a resident of Stockton, Mo. He served in the Federal army during the
late war. J. W. Paynter is one of the young, but wide-awake, stirring business men of Fair
Play, Mo. He is a Republican in politics, is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and
keeper of records in Hines Lodge No. 114.
JOHN CALVIN PIKE
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 688, 689--Polk County Biographies Section
Prof. John Calvin Pike, B. S. and Professor of Natural Science in the Southwest Baptist College, is well known throughout Polk and adjoining counties, and although young in years has won an enviable reputation as a prominent educator. He was born in the county on the 25th of January, 1863, and from early boyhood has been very fond of reading, and while acquiring his rudimentary education in the public schools applied himself diligently to his studies, thus becoming capable, at an early age, to reason and think for himself. He soon perceived that a good education, a thorough knowledge of the business affairs of life, together with a sufficient amount of energy, were essential if he wished to become eminent in any calling, and at the early age of seventeen years he entered the Southwest Baptist College, from which institution he was graduated with the degree of B. S. in 1886. The same year he was called to the Peirce [sic] City Baptist College, where he taught during 1886-87, his efforts meeting with such success that in the latter year he was called to his Alma Mater and was given the chair of Natural Science, which speaks very highly as to his efficiency and the respect and esteem with which he is regarded by the public. He is able discharging his duties, and is doing all in his power to raise the standard of the college. In his political views Prof. Pike is a Prohibitionist. He belongs to the Baptist Church, and his wife, whose maiden name was Mary S. Smith, and whom he married October 12, 1887, belongs to the Christian Church. Mrs. Pike was born in Cedar County, Mo., and she and the Professor are the parents of one child, Caroline.
Questions or comments: Kay Griffin Snow
18 Jan 2001--2005; © All Rights Reserved.