Polk County Biographies, by Goodspeed



    Mary Jane Hopper was born in Polk county, Missouri, near Plum Grove on June 2, 1850, and died at her home in Fair Play on May 6, 1934, being at the time of her death 83 years, 11 months and 4 days old.
    She was united in marriage to James P. Frieze on October 4, 1874.  To this union seven children were born: Thomas J. Frieze, Charley H. Frieze who died in 1916, Josie F. Frieze, Hiram Marvin Frieze, Ira Claudie Frieze who died in 1919, Sarah Ann, and James Franklin Frieze.
    Her husband died in 1909, and in 1910 she was married to S. C. Hays, who departed this life in September, 1915.
    In early life she professed faith in Christ and united with the Plum Grove Baptist church.  In later years she moved her membership to the Fair Play Baptist church where she remained a faithful and devoted member till her death.
    She leaves to mourn her departure, five children, three brothers, one sister, and a host of relatives and friends.
    Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Fletch Davis at 2 o'clock, Sunday afternoon, May 6, in the Fair Play Baptist church.  burial was in Lindley Prairie cemetery under direction of Crow & Barker.

Published in the Fair Play Advocate, 10 May 1934


History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 658, 659--Polk County Biographies Section

     John B. Ingram, a leading resident of Polk County, Mo., was born near Lebanon, Wilson County, Tenn., August 17, 1834, being a son of Martin and Anna A. (Howard) Ingram, who were born in North Carolina, and moved from there to Wilson County, Tenn., where they remained five years, and in 1834 moved to Springfield, Mo. After living here one year they moved six miles northeast of Springfield, and opened up a farm, where they resided until their respective deaths. The father was a general mechanic in his younger days, having learned the trade in North Carolina, and was an excellent one for his day. In his political views he was first a Democrat, and then became a Republican. His birth occurred on the 29th of August, 1803, and his death, June 8, 1881. His wife was an earnest member of the Primitive Baptist Church, and died on the 1st of November, 1884, at the age of eighty years. John B. Ingram is the fourth of their eight children, and was educated in Greene County. He remained with his parents until twenty-three years of age, then moved away to Polk County, where he bought and entered 220 acres of land and is now the owner of one of the best improved and most fertile farms in Polk County. He first engaged in the nursery business in connection with his farm work, but after some time gave his attention to farm work exclusively, and now devotes a part of his attention to manufacturing molasses. July 26, 1860, he was married to Miss Elizabeth A. McCracken, a daughter of Thomas McCracken. She was born in Williamson County, Tenn., November 26, 1826, and by Mr. Ingram has become the mother of two children: Mary Ellen, wife of Dr. J. W. Allison, a physician of Rondo, Mo.; and Ben F., at home. Mr. and Mrs. Ingram are members of the Christian Church, and he is a Republican, and is one of the enterprising citizens of the county, being always ready to support worthy enterprises. Mr. Ingram's brothers and sisters are: Mary J. (McCracken); Archibald F., a prominent banker of Springfield, Mo., who has been connected with most of the newspapers published in that city; Sidney N., was a school teacher in his young days, but is now engaged in milling near Springfield; Thomas J. is a resident of Greene County, and was a soldier in the Union service in the late war; Benson H. is a life insurance agent of Sedalia, and has been circuit court clerk of Pettis County; Martin V. was also a soldier in the Union army, and is now engaged in the pork business in Springfield; and Virginia A. was the wife of John McCraw, and died when about thirty-four years of age in Dakota Territory.                      ~~>UP<~~


“Anna Pearl Courtland Johnson, 81, of Bolivar died at 5:30 pm Saturday, May 8, 2004, in Parkview Healthcare Facility. 

She was born the first of six children on April 9, 1923, in Independence, the daughter of Mack Courtland and Blanch Stevenson Courtland.  She was united in marriage to Donnie Ray Johnson on July 23, 1944, and to this union six children were born, Larry David, Sue Anne, Francis Robert, Phillip Ray, Joyce Kay and Donnie Ray II.  She has been a longtime resident of Bolivar, moving here from Independence in 1959.  She was preceded in death by her parents, Mack and Blanche Courtland, two sisters and one brother.  She is survived by four sons, Larry D. Johnson and wife Judy, Frank Johnson and wife Nora, all of Gulf Shores, Ala., Phillip Johnson and wife Cindy of Springfield and Donnie Johnson II of Nevada; one daughter, Joyce Vest of Bolivar; two sisters, Patty Pennay of Perry Kan., and Marjorie Deming of Kingston, Ohio; 15 grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends.  Services will be at 11 am today (Wednesday) in the Butler Funeral Home Chapel with the Rev. James Friend officiating.  Burial will follow in Salem Cemetery north of Cliquot.  Casketbearers will be Frank Johnson, Don Johnson Jr., Phillip Johnson, David Johnson, Terry Francka and Michael English. “

“Bolivar Herald-Free Press 12 May 2004”   
Submitted by: Kay & Steve   kspennay (at) adelphia.net           ~~>UP<~~



History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 659--Polk County Biographies Section

     Among the prominent men of the early settlers in Polk County appears the name of Col. James W. Johnson. He was of English descent, having been born August 24, 1811, in Virginia. In an early day he emigrated to Tennessee, and located near Nashville, where he married, in 1883, Miss Nancy Piper, a native of Middle Tennessee, born September 28, 1814. He father was a native of Ireland, and in an early day came to this country. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and the second person buried in the Bolivar graveyard. In 1834 Col. Johnson and wife came to Polk County. Though a farmer by occupation, he took an active part in all the affairs of his county. In 1852 he was elected sheriff and collector of Polk County, in which capacity he served two years. In the Constitutional Convention of 1861 he as the chosen delegate from this district. The same year he received the commission of colonel of the Fifteenth U. S. Reserve Corps, and in September, 1852, he was honored with the commission of colonel of the Twenty-sixth Enrolled Missouri Militia, and served till March, 1864, when he resigned and retired to private life. In 1888 he was called from the toils of earth. In his death the county lost one of its most useful and highly esteemed citizens. He was a stanch Democrat, and an active member in the Christian Church, as was also his wife. She died August 13, 1883. Their family consisted of eight children, of whom five survive; Delilah P., Richard M., Samuel R., James W. and Abraham L. Samuel R. was born in this county July 28, 1850, being reared upon the farm. While growing up he received a good English education in the schools of the county. Having prepared himself in the Bolivar Academy for the profession of teaching, he followed it some three years. September 1, 1872, he married Miss Emma Stewart, daughter of George W. Stewart. She was born near Madison, Ind., May 26, 1854, and came to this county with her parents in 1869. Having resided on the old homestead until 1884, Mr. Johnson moved to his present home, a mile and a quarter northeast of Bolivar. He owns 200 acres of good land, with about 125 under cultivation. His family consists of four children: Llano, Daisy, Nannie and Nettie. He is a member of the Christian Church. He is an advocate of the principles of the Union Labor Party. The John family is an old and highly respected family, and deserves an honorable mention in the history of Polk County.                      ~~>UP<~~


History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 659, 660--Polk County Biographies Section

     Richard M. Johnson, fine stock breeder, and son of Col. James W. and Nancy (Piper) Johnson, was born in Marion Township, Polk County, Mo., August 8, 1845, was reared to farm life, and received a good practical education in the common district schools. August 12, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Polk County Home Guards, served about nine months, and in March, 1862, he joined Company E, Eighth Missouri State Militia Cavalry, and served until March, 1865. The last two years he was quartermaster sergeant. He was in a great many skirmishes, but was never wounded nor taken prisoner. After being discharged at Springfield, he returned to this county. December 29, 1867, he married Miss Sarah E. Jones, daughter of Judge James M. Jones, and a native of Polk County, Mo., born January 5, 1846. To this union were born five children, four now living: James M., Edward A., Mary M. and Rosa E. Both Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are members of the Christian Church. Mr. Johnson has taken great interest in improving the stock of the county, and has the finest Mohawk jack, besides several young ones, in the county. He is also active in all worthy enterprises, has lived for nearly forty-two years on the section of land where he now lives, and is a most estimable citizen. He is a Democrat in politics, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity.   ~~>UP<~~


History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 660--Polk County Biographies Section

     Isaac Marion Jones, M. D., a practicing physician of Bolivar and vicinity, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, March 22, 1841, and is the son of Abraham and Sarah (Lewis) Jones, both natives of New Jersey, the father born in 1796, and the mother in 1799. He was of Welsh-English descent, and she of English. After their marriage they remained in their native State until 1814, when they moved to Madison County, Ohio, and owned the land entered by his father, where West Jefferson is now built. The father was a farmer and an extensive land-owner. He also practiced medicine under the old Botanic system. He was a soldier in the War of 1812; was not an office-seeker, nor were any of his family, but he was a Democrat in politics. He was a deacon in the Baptist Church for over forty years, and his wife was a member of the same church. He died in 1864, and she in 1876. They were the parents of eleven children, five sons and six daughters, and one of the sons, Lewis R. became a Baptist minister. Isaac M. Jones, the youngest child, and the only son now living, married August 30, 1858, Miss Christina Leffler, a native of Muskingum County, Ohio, and the result of this union was nine children, four now living: James A., Thomas J., Pleasant W. and Mary E. Both Dr. and Mrs. Jones are members of the Baptist Church. In 1860 the Doctor moved to Moultrie County, Ill., and in 1869, to Polk County, Mo. In 1872 he graduated from the St. Louis Medical College, returned to Polk County, and has practiced there ever since. He is a member of the Polk County Medical Society, and has been coroner one term.                         ~~>UP<~~


History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 660, 661--Polk County Biographies Section

      James H. Justus, proprietor of Bolivar Roller Mills, was born in Sumner County, Tenn., May 8, 1817, and his parents, Thomas and Polly (Carr) Justus, were natives of the same State, and were there married. The father's people were from Connecticut, and the mother's from Ireland. After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Justus lived in Tennessee until 1818, when they moved to Southeast Missouri, and two years later to Greene County. From there they moved to Schuyler County, Ill., in 1852 settled in St. Clair County, Mo., where they both died, he at the age of sixty-seven years, and she at the age of seventy-seven years. The father was a farmer and miller by occupation. He was a Democrat in politics. The mother was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In their family were eleven children, five sons and six daughters. James H. Justus was the fourth child in order of birth. He was reared on the farm and in the mill, had almost no educational advantages, not attending more than three months all together. He worked for his father until twenty-six years of age, and in 1843 was married to Miss Mary E. Edger, a native of Ohio. He had gone to Iowa in 1837, but returned to wed Miss Edger. Having made two trips to Texas, he finally settled in St. Clair County, Mo., where he lived until 1880, and then moved to Polk County. His chief occupation has been farming, which he continued until 1885, when he bought the mill and moved to Bolivar. He has a good mill of seventy-five barrels capacity, and does first-class work. He was an old line Whig until that party went down, and since then he has been a Republican. By his first wife he had four children, two sons and two daughters. The mother died in 1852, and Mr. Justus took for his second wife Mrs. Nancy Imes, née Bennett, who bore him seven children, three sons and four daughters. The second Mrs. Justus died in 1881, and three years later Mr. Justus married Mrs. Hamlin, née Moore. The second wife was a member of the Baptist Church, and the present wife is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Justus began life a poor boy, but, by labor and economy, became the owner of 537 acres of land, all well stocked, but the war came on and swept away about $3,000 worth of stock. Mr. Justus owns a good mill and three acres in Bolivar. He is a much respected citizen. His son, George W., is the business manager of the firm, and William G. Imes, his step-son, is also associated in the business. The Bolivar Roller Mills took the premium on first and second grades of flour at the Polk County Fair in 1888.


History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri;1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 661, 662--Polk County Biographies Section

     William C. Kelley, a prominent resident and native of Polk County, Mo., was born January 4, 1852, and is a son of George W. and Elizabeth (Orendorff) Kelley, the former of whom was born in the "Old North State," and the latter in Kentucky, and died in Polk County, Mo., the father in 1869, at the age of eighty-one years, and the mother October 14, 1850. They were married in Logan County, Ill., July 17, 1822, and came to Missouri in 1836. The father, whose birth occurred July 25, 1789 was a blacksmith by trade. He and his brothers were the first white men to settle in Springfield, Ill, building the first log huts in that now prosperous city. After coming to Missouri, he turned his attention to farming and stock raising, and was very successful until 1852, when he lost all his property by a cyclone, and never recovered his losses. Of four sons and four daughters born to his marriage, only two children are now living: William C. and Russell W. The former was educated in the district schools of Polk County, and remained under the shelter of the parental roof until July, 1862, when he enlisted in Company E., Twenty-sixth Missouri Enrolled Militia, with which he served seven months, and was then transferred to Captain Price's company of the same regiment, of which he remained a member until peace was declared. Since that time he has given his attention to farming and stock raising, and is now the owner of 300 acres of excellent farming land. Mr. Kelley is a member of the Republican party, a member of the Agricultural Wheel, and is one of the well respected and enterprising citizens of that county. December 14, 1870, he was married to Mary V. Watson, a daughter of Leander Watson. She was born in Webster County, Mo., March 10, 1851, and is the mother of three children: Amanda Annis, born October 18, 1871; William M., born March 7, 1874; and George L., born July 26, 1876.        ~~>UP<~~


History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 662, 663--Polk County Biographies Section

     William H. Kelly, merchant of Morrisville, Mo., was born in Botetourt County, Va., June 17, 1838, and is the son of John H. and Sarah E. (Hanes) Kelly, both natives of Virginia. Grandfather Kelly was a native of the Emerald Isle, and after emigrating to America, settled in Virginia. Grandfather Hanes was of German descent. John H. and Sarah (Hanes) Kelly were married in Virginia, and never moved from that State. He died at the age of sixty-seven years, but she is still living, and is about seventy-one years of age. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, as was also her husband. In his political views he was first a Whig, next a Know-Nothing, and finally a Democrat. During militia days he held the position of colonel. He ran a hotel and blacksmith shop in Amsterdam, and was quite successful at this. In their family were thirteen children, three sons and ten daughters, of whom our subject is the eldest. He was reared in his native village, Amsterdam, and educated in the subscription schools, receiving a fair business education. When the disturbance at Harper's Ferry occurred, he joined the Fincastle Rifles, and went to assist in quelling the affair. In June, 1861, he assisted Gilmore Breckenridge in raising his company, Company K, Twenty-eighth Virginia Infantry, Confederate Army, and was elected second lieutenant. At the end of the first year the reorganization took place, and he was chosen first lieutenant. After the seven days' fight around Richmond he was promoted to the rank of captain of his company, which position he held until the close of the war. He was at the battle of Williamsburg, Second Manassas, Seven Pines, Gettysburg, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Plymouth, and Wilderness. He was never wounded nor taken prisoner. He then returned to this county in 1869, and the following year went to Texas, where he clerked in a store. In 1837 [sic] he came back to Polk County, and November 18 of the same year, he married Miss Laura L. McClure. Both he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He is a Democrat in politics. In the spring of 1874 he engaged in mercantile pursuits in Morrisville, and has been thus engaged since. In 1880 Thomas B. Lemmon joined him in business. Mr. Lemmon is the son of John S. Lemmon, and was born in Polk County, Mo., September 19, 1849. On reaching manhood he ran a mill at West Bend, this county, for about seven years. Two years later he went to Shady Grove, this county, and opened a general store, which he ran until he joined Mr. Kelly in 1880. January 1, 1871, he married Miss Sarah E. Treadway, a native of this State, who bore him eight children, seven now living: William E., John F., Nora L. (deceased), Ora, Jesse H., Francis A., Jefferson C. and James A. April 11, 1888, he lost his wife, and April 15 of the same year he lost his daughter, Nora L. He is a member of the Masonic order, and is treasurer of Pleasant Lodge No. 160. In politics he is a Democrat, and in his religious views he affiliates with the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He and Mr. Kelly are live business men, and have a good patronage.


History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 663, 664--Polk County Biographies Section

     Asa Kerby, one of the prominent citizens of Polk County, Mo., was born in Howard County, Mo., in 1829 (October 4), his parents being John and Mary (Whorton ) Kerby, who were born in Kentucky and Virginia, respectively. They were married in the [Blue Grass State,] February 2, 1825, and there continued to reside until 1828 when they came to Missouri, and located in Howard County, where they spent the rest of their days. The father was born February 2, 1806, and died February 16, 1870. The mother was born the 17th of January, 1806, and died in 1882. They were members of the Missionary Baptist Church for many years, and took great interest in church work. During the late was Mr. Kerby served in the Confederate army, and was at the battle of Silver Creek, where he was wounded in the shoulder by a musket ball. He was soon after captured, and after taking the oath of allegiance returned to farm life, at which he was quite successful. He was a Democrat throughout life, but was never an aspirant for office. His father, John Kerby, was born in Virginia, and died in Howard County, Mo., having followed the occupation of farming throughout life. The Kerby family are of English descent. Asa Kerby the immediate subject of this biography, received his early education in the old log school of early times, and, as he has been very fond of reading all his life, he is now one of the intelligent and well posted men of the county. After remaining at home until he attained his majority, he hired out as a farm hand for eleven months, but since that time has successfully farmed on his own account in Howard, Randolph and Polk Counties. He moved to Randolph County in 1855, and to the latter county ten years later. Previous to the late was he was a Democrat in politics, but since 1860 he has affiliated with the Republican party, by whom he was elected to the office of public administrator in 1872, and held the position four years. February 13, 1851, he was married to Susan J. Warford, a daughter of John and Mary Warford. She was born in Howard County, Mo., November 28, 1832, and her union with Mr. Kerby has resulted in the birth of six children, four living: Mary A., wife of D. K. Griffen, a farmer of Meade County, Kan.; Sarah E., wife of George W. Edmiston, a farmer of Laclede County, Mo. ; John W., farming near home; and Fanny M., wife of H. J. F. Caldwell, a farmer of Polk County, Mo. Those deceased are James B., who was five years of age at the time of his death; and Jennie M. who was about four years old. Since twenty-one years of age Mr. Kerby has been an earnest member of the Missionary Baptist Church, of which he has been a deacon for a number of years, his wife being also a member of that church. He belongs to the Agricultural Wheel. During the late was he espoused the cause of the Union, and for a short time served in the State militia. His family were all Southern sympathizers.                     ~~>UP<~~


History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 664, 665--Polk County Biographies Section

     John Kim, collier or chief burner in the charcoal company, at Fair Play, Polk County, Mo., was born in the Republic of Switzerland in 1852. The father, Bernhard Kim, was born in Switzerland in 1816, and was educated there. He was also married there to Miss Catherine Fishler, who was a native of Switzerland, born in 1829, and who is now living in her native country. The father was a farmer, and served as a soldier. He died in 1866. They were the parents of six children, all now living. The grandparents on both sides were natives of Switzerland, and the maternal grandfather was a farmer by occupation. John Kim is the only one of his family who has emigrated to America, and he landed in New York October 6, 1880, where he remained about a week. He then went to Philadelphia, back to New York, then to Brooklyn, and then again back to New York, and from there to Hartford, Conn., where he worked on a farm for about two months, after which he returned to New York. He then got his first permanent situation in Vermont, engaging in the charcoal business, and at this he has continued to work. He has followed this business in Vermont, Alabama, and is now in Missouri. He filled the position of foreman in Vermont, and has worked as chief burner ever since. He gets seventy-five dollars per month, and is the owner of sixty acres of land in Cedar County. He was married in his native country to Miss Therese Smith, who was born in 1852. They have two children, Rosa and Therese. Mr. and Mrs. Kim are worthy members of the Roman Catholic Church.           ~~>UP<~~


History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 665--Polk County Biographies Section

     J. H. H. Kincaid, stock-raiser, trader and farmer, was born in Greenbrier County, W. Va., September 6, 1830, and, when twelve years of age, was left an orphan. Since that time he has made his own way in the world. He remained in his native county until 1852, when he went to Cedar County, Iowa, and there, in 1853, was united in marriage to Miss Lydia A. Hanna, a native of the same county of Mr. Kincaid. In 1856 he and his wife moved to Livingston County, Mo., entered a prairie farm, and there remained till 1884, when they moved to Polk County. He is the owner of 222 acres of land one and a fourth miles west of Bolivar, and has one of the best improved farms in the community. When residing in Livingston County he served a long time as justice of the peace, and during the war he served in the militia, being commissioned twice as second lieutenant and once as captain. He is a Republican in politics, and a member of the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Kincaid is a successful trader and farmer, and has made what he has by hard work and good business foresight. His educational advantages were very limited, not attending school but a short time after the death of his parents. To his marriage were born eight children, five of whom are living; Ezbon, Gilvin B., Clark H., Orto T. and Annie. His parents, John D. and Mary (Hyde) Kincaid, were natives of Greenbrier County, W. Va., and he of Scotch, and she of English-Irish descent.    ~~>UP<~~


History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 665, 666--Polk County Biographies Section

     Nelson N. Kinder was born August 14, 1852, in Tennessee, and is the son of James M. and Martha J. (Cates) Kinder. James M. Kinder was born May 1, 1824, in Grainger County, East Tennessee, and grew to manhood in that State. He was there married to Miss Cates, September 20, 1846, and afterward settled down and engaged in farming and teaching school, having, previous to his marriage, attended Mossy Creek College a short time, and also taught for about four years. In 1860 he and family removed to Polk County, Mo., and afterward he enlisted in the Home Guards, served about one year, and during that time was disabled from a fall. After leaving the Home Guards he returned to his farm, where he is still living in the enjoyment of fairly good health. His wife was born in Grainger County, Tenn., January 13, 1829, and is the daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Lloyd) Cates. To Mr. and Mrs. Kinder were born ten children, five of whom are now living. Mrs. Kinder is still living on the farm in Polk County. The paternal grandfather, Jacob Kinder, was born in Wythe County, Va., and was married in that county to Miss Mary Rouse. He emigrated to Grainger County, Tenn., in 1820, followed farming in that State, and died suddenly there when sixty-three years of age. The paternal grandmother, Mary Rouse, was born in Virginia, and died in Tennessee on the old home place soon after the death of her husband. The maternal grandfather of our subject, Charles Cates, was born in North Carolina in 1800. His wife, Elizabeth Lloyd, was a native of North Carolina, born in the year 1794. Six children were born to this union, five now living. Nelson N. Kinder was reared in Polk County, Mo., received his education in the common schools, and afterward attended Bolivar Academy two terms. He then taught school for about ten years in Polk County, Mo., and was one of the prominent local educators of that county. He was married June 11, 1876, to Miss Elizabeth E. Runyan of Polk County, and the daughter of A. M. and Mary A. (Jarnagin) Runyan. After marriage Mr. Kinder settled on a farm, taught several terms of school, and there remained until 1879, when he removed to Humansville. He remained there but two years, and in that time was engaged in a carpenter and furniture store, after which he moved back to the farm. Seven years later he located in Aldrich, and in August, 1887, he embarked in the lumber business and also the hardware business at that place. He was sole proprietor in the former business, but was in partnership with W. J. Hensley in the latter. Mrs. Kinder was born June 30, 1859, in Polk County, Mo., and received her education in the common school. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Kinder is a member of the Methodist. He is a Democrat in politics.   ~~>UP<~~


History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 666, 667--Polk County Biographies Section

     Charles Koch, proprietor of the mineral springs at Fair Play, Polk County, Mo., is a native of Switzerland, born in 1819, and is one of the much-respected citizens of the county. He is the son of Jacob and Mary Koch, both natives of Switzerland, the father born in 1777. He was a mechanic by occupation, and died in his native country. The mother also died in Switzerland in 1835. They were the parents of ten children, all of whom lived to be grown. Charles Koch grew to manhood in Switzerland, and attended school fifteen years. He learned the carpenter trade of his father, and worked at contracting and building is his native country for thirteen years. In 1848 he sailed for America, landing in New York, and there worked at his trade for sometime. He then emigrated to Missouri, located at St. Louis, and there worked at his trade until the breaking out of the late war, when he joined the Federal army, and was in service for three years, in Company G, Tenth Missouri Cavalry, and filled the rank of third sergeant. He lost $2,000 during the war. After the conflict he settled in Warren County, followed farming, and lived there for eighteen years, after which he moved to Springfield, followed his trade there, and remained in that city five years. He came to Fair Play in 1887, purchased a farm on a hill, and has discovered water which is strongly impregnated with medicinal properties. This has been thoroughly tested, and many have been benefited by use of the same, viz.: Mr. Blair, of Fair Play, was cured of dyspepsia; Mr. McCarty, of kidney trouble; Mr. Yost, of dyspepsia; and Mr. Neal, of vocal trouble. Many with sore eyes have been benefited, and one, Mr. Grigsby, badly afflicted with dropsy, was cured. Mr. Koch has been married three times, and to his present wife fifteen years ago. One living child has been born to this union, Annie R., and one died in infancy. Mrs. Koch has also been married three times, and by her first husband became the mother of these children: Samuel Caldwell (deceased); John Caldwell, Emma Caldwell, wife of Samuel Sanders. Three children are deceased. Mrs. Louisa Koch is the daughter of John T. and Sarah (Howard) Hurt. John T. Hurt was born October 14, 1786, in North Carolina, and removed from that State to West Virginia with his parents at the age of eight years. Two years later he moved with his parents to East Tennessee, his father settling where Nashville now stands. He emigrated from Tennessee back to West Virginia, and there John T. was married, in 1811, in Russell County, to Miss Sarah Howard. He died March 21, 1860. Miss Sarah Howard was born in West Virginia October 15, 1807, and grew to womanhood in her native State. She died in February, 1858. She was the mother of ten children, three now living, and Mrs. Koch being the sixth in order of birth. The paternal grandfather, Garland Hurt, was born about 1750, in North Carolina, and grew to manhood in that State. He married Miss Martishia Thurston, in North Carolina, in 1793, and died in West Virginia about 1840. The paternal grandmother was born about 1760, and died a number of years before the death of her husband. They were the parents of ten children. The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Hurt, Larkin Howard, was born about 1780, in North Carolina, and grew to manhood there. When about twenty-one years of age he emigrated to West Virginia, and about four years later returned to North Carolina, and was there married in 1800 or 1801. Soon after marriage he returned to West Virginia, but later emigrated to Indiana, and there died about 1829, a few months after reaching that State. The paternal grandmother, Miss Rachel Herndon, was born in England in 1785, and emigrated with her parents to America when about nine or ten years of age. In their family were ten children. She died in Indiana about 1855. The paternal great-grandfather was originally from England, and died in North Carolina about 1770, and was a grand-nephew of the Princess Rachel Howard, a descendant of the house of Stuarts. The paternal great-grandmother was a Miss Nancy Taylor, who died in North Carolina. The maternal great-grandfather, Edward Herndon, was born in England, and was married in that country to Miss Hawkins. Mr. Koch is a member of the Roman Catholic Church, is a Republican in politics, and is a member of the G. A. R.


Young Mother dies from shock and deep burns after accident

Funeral services were held last Friday afternoon, May 4, at 2 o'clock for Mrs. Ellis Utterback, who died Thursday morning at 7 o'clock from nervous shock following a tragic accident in which she was burned severely.

Last Tuesday afternoon at about 4:30 o'clock Mrs. Utterback was heating some paraffin and gasoline on the kitchen stove, preparing to make some glass cloth for use in her brooder house; the mixture had become hot and was ready for use, and Mrs. Utterback had taken it from the stove and started toward the outside kitchen door when the liquid exploded, splattering over her arms.

She dropped the container and liquid and attempted to kick it out the door, but her dress caught, on fire. While one of the children called for help, Mrs. Utterback ran and got in bed to smother out the flames. When her husband got to her, the flames were practically out, and the doctor was called immediately.

Mrs. Utterback lived thirty-eight hours after the accident, and death was attributed to nervous shock instead of the severity of the burns.

Lillian Beatrice Griffin, daughter of William J. and Lula Griffin, was born in Dade county, Mo., May 4, 1900, and died at her home in Fox district, May 3. She would have been 34 years of age the following day.

She was married to Ellis E. Utterback June 12, 1918. To this union were born five children, four sons, William, Leon, Eldon, Norman Frank; and one daughter Beatrice.

Lillian was converted at the age of 17, and united with the College Hill Methodist Protestant church in 1919, to which she remained a loyal and helpful member until her death. She was the teacher of the young people's Sunday school class, and was much loved by the boys and girls of her group. The girls of the class acted as flower girls and the boys as pall bearers at the funeral services.

She leaves to mourn her death, her husband and five children; her father and mother; two brothers. Roy and Everett of Fair Play; and two sisters, Mrs. Vernie Welsh of Fair Play, and Mrs. Ethel Hamilton of Exeter, Calif.; and a grandfather, Mr. A. L. Griffin.

Funeral services were conducted by the Rev. Marion Lafollette and wife, of Republic, now pastor of the College Hill church. A very large crowd attended the funeral. Burial was in Shady Grove cemetery under direction of Crow & Barker.

Published in the Fair Play Advocate, May 10, 1934, front page


Back to Index                            ~~>UP<~~


Questions or comments:  Kay Griffin Snow

© 2 Jan 2001;2005  All Rights Reserved.