|Nodaway County, Missouri|
|from Standard Historical Atlas of Nodaway County, Missouri containing maps of Villages, Cities and Townships of the County. Maps of State, United States and World. Farmers Directory, Business Directory and General Information. Published by The Anderson Publishing Co., Map & Atlas Publishers. Chicago, Ill., 1911; pages 1 & 2, section 2.|
|(Transcribed by Pat O'Dell: firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|by A. Johnston|
Located in the central west part of Nodaway County, bordering on the Atchison County line. When organized in 1866 was ten by eleven miles square.
March 20, 1871, the south half of Nodaway Township was taken from Green Township. Twenty-one sections February 12, 1881. The north half of Monroe Township was taken from Green Township, twenty-two sections. The township now has sixty-seven sections of land.
Beginning at the northeast corner of section 5, township 64, range 36, then west to the Nodaway River, then north along the river three miles, then west to the county line; northwest corner of section 22, township 65, range 38, then south eight miles along the county line to the southwest corner of section 27, township 64, range 38, then east to the southeast corner of section 27, township 64, range 36, then north five miles to place of beginning.
The Nodaway River divides the township, flowing through the central part of the township. There are several creeks flowing into the Nodaway, furnishing good drainage and an abundance of pure water for stock.
The soil is a rich black vegetable mold or alluvial soil. The river and all of its tributaries are well timbered. Between the streams was originally prairie covered with a fine growth of native grass. A good quality of building stone is found on several of the streams. Coal underlays the stone, cropping out in several places near Quitman. Coal has been mined around quitman more or less since the "sixties," at time quite extensive. At present Messrs Fry & Carmichael are running the principal shaft on the land of A. B. Graham, near the town. The average thickness of the coal is twelve to eighteen inches.
William Bowman was probably the first settler in the township in 1841, followed in 1842 by Elijah Dolson [sic], William Dolson [sic], Jesse Dotson, John Dawson, John Harris, Dennis Dawson, Jesse Roberts, James Roberts, John Thomas, William Harrison and John Porter. In 1845, John Groom; 1849, W.R. Holt and Joel Albright; 1849 to 1851, Soloman Shell, C.L. Kain, Hiram Lee, Rankin R. Russell, John D. Holt, Richard Miller; 1851 to 1860, Abraham Hazey, Joseph Huff, Thomas Huff, Fleming Carpenter, Joseph Hoadrick [sic], John W. Carden, William Tarpley, Jackson M. Holt, Samuel Smith, Austin F. Stitt, John B. Garton, Marshal Ford, William Emmerson, Samuel P. Jones, H.H. Ware and James Noffsinger; 1860 to 1870, Ephraim Johnston, James W. Smith, William Wood, Jacob Bird, W.H. Frankum, John S. Bilby, John H. Baker, W.Thomas Long, Henry B. Lure, Dr E.M. Manning, John S. Thompson, J.W. Weddlper, Augustus Johnston and many others.
The land on which the town of Quitman is located was entered November 24, 1844, by Hiram Lee. Lee settled on the land in 1851, sold out to Rankin R. Russell and James Noffsinger, March 17, 1853. October 18, 1854, Noffsinger sold out to Rankin R. Russell. The town was surveyed by Judge Neal and platted in 1856 and named Russellville. On application for a post-office the name of the town was changed to Quitman. R.R. Russell was the first postmaster.
Wm. Emmerson bought the first lot sold, lot 8, block 12. Emmerson built a house and opened a small store, also a house to live in. The old house is till standing but not occupied. R.R. Russell built a residence at that time, quite a good bulding, standing on what was known as the Russell Reserve; ten acres in the center of the town (afterward layed out in town lots).
Russell built the brick store-room and Masonic Hall on the northeast corner of block 14. Destroyed by fire in 1889. David Tignor bought the second lot sold, northwest corner of block 14; built a long house. The house is still standing, remodeled, weatherboarded and plastered and occupied as residence, the only building of the old town still in use.
The first mill was built by Hiram Lee, a long grist mill. This mill was taken down by R.R. Russell who replaced it with a frame mill and saw mill. The upper story was used for a carding mill for a while. This mill was rebuilt in 1869 by Nash & Ware and operated until 1893 when it burned down.
The Quitman Roller Mill was built in 1887 by a stock company, afterwards sold to John S. Bilby. Now the property of Frank P. Robinson. A large steam stationary saw mill was built by Abraham Hagey four miles north of Quitman on the west side of the river in 1858, also another saw mill at Quitman by Reese and Sellers in 1859. Both mills did much toward furnishing lumber to the early settlers. Since that time there have been many portable saw mills along the river and other streams of the township. Most of the heavy timber has been cut out but a valuable new growth has taken the place where land has not been cleared off.
The first river bridge was built at Quitman in 1858 below the Russell Mill. The second bridge was built just north of the mill about sixty feet in the year 1867. The third bridge was built about four hundred feet north of the mill. These three bridges were made of wood and consequently lasted but a short time. The fourth bridge, made of iron, was built one-half mile west of the south line of the town, which led to so much dissatisfaction to the town and farmers northwest of town that the court granted another bridge which was built on the section line north of town. This was an iron bridge also and both bridges are in good repair and bid fair to last for a long time.
Prior to 1868 all merchandise was hauled from St. Joseph, then from Maryville until the building of the Nodaway Valley Railroad in 1880.
The first carload received at Quitman was a car of lumber for the new store building of Johnston & Radford. John S. Bilby shipped the first stock out of Quitman. Quitman ships more cattle and hogs out and cattle in then any other station from Biglow to Vallisca [Villisca, Ia]. Train service is good, three trains daily each way, except Sunday, one passenger.
With the railroad came the elevators and for several years Quitman was a good grain market. Often as many as twenty-five loads of grain would be in line on the street leading to the elevator awaiting their turn to dump their loads. But at the present time nearly all the corn grown is fed on the farms, besides many cars of cottonseed meal, bran shorts, linseed meal, alfalfa meal and tankage are bought and fed by the farmers. Among the principal feeders are the Nodaway Valley Cattle Company, Quitman Live Stock Company, A.J. Holt, C.D. Caldwell, A.B. Crane, Wm. Potts, Frank Potts, Hiram Logan, J.E. Costello, George Jones, John Lunden and M.J. Johnston.
With our earliest settlers came the school house. Although rude and with but little comforts many of the men and women of today got their schooling sitting on the soft side of the slab benches. Green Township has fourteen school districts, all have school houses. The Quitman school building is a good four room brick built in 1884.
The Methodist Episcopal church was early in the township, holding services at the school houses. Their first organized church was in 1871 at Quitman with the following members: George E. Basom, Jane Basom, W.T. Radford, Charles A. Radford, Sallie Radford, Thomas Bond, Mrs Emma O. Manning. In 1874 the society built a good frame church, 32 by 50 feet, at a cost of $1,500. This church was destroyed by fire May 13, 1893. A subscription paper was started before the fire was out and nine hundred subscribed the first day and the brick church was built the same year at a cost of $2,750. The society has a good six-room parsonage on an adjoining lot at a cost of $1,250. The property is clear of debt. The church has never been without a pastor or Sunday School since organized. Rev. M.K. Morge is pastor.
The Christian church at Quitman was organized in 1892 and they have a good brick building, 32 by 50 feet, erected the same year. They have a large membership. Their pastor is Rev. D. Harland of Skidmore.
Comet Lodge, No. 284, I.O.O.F., was organized June 10, 1873. Charter members were H.M. McKinzie, H.H. Nash, Wm.H. Smith, J.C. Smith, John H. Ware, Jr., and James Parshall. Parshall is the only one now living. The society owns their own hall and the Rebecca Cemetery of five acres. At present their membership is thirty-one. They are practically out of debt. The present elective officers are Harvey England, N.G., Carl A. Johnston, Vice G.A. Johnston, Secretary, and John Manargan, Treasure. The A.F. and A.M. Lodge was organized May 30, 1860, with the following members: Samuel Noffsinger, Samuel T. Kennedy, Thomas J. McQuidy and A.B. More. Their present membership is thirty-seven. C.E. Boung, Master, H.A. Ware, Secretary. The Modern Woodman have a prosperous camp at Quitman with one hundred and ten members. R.B. Young, Venerable Council, Fred Wright Clerk.
The first bank was organized by J.S. Bilby & Co., September, 1885, with John S. Bilby, President, A. Johnston, Cashier. Capital $20,000.00. The bank was a success from the start. In 1898 Dr R.H. Smith bought the bank and changed the name to Farmers' Bank. Smith only remained a short time and sold back to the Bilbys.
The Ralston Bank building was built in 1898 and the Ralston Bank began business with a capital of $10,000.00. E.H. Ralston, President, and J.R. Boyer, Cashier. The Ralston Bank sold out in 1907 to the Bilbys. Since that time there has been but one bank. H.C. Baily has been the cashier since the Farmers' Bank was purchased by the Bilbys and is still with them.
General merchants of Quitman from 1856 to 1910: Wm. Emmerson, Joel Albright, Samuel P. Jones, Jas. K. Chamberlain, Dodge & Markland, Blair & Galbreth, J.J. Daniels & Co., Johnston & Radford, Ensor & Band, C.C. Crofferd, A. Johnston, King & Earhart, Flinn Bros., Donnel & Beattie, James A. Glover, J.J. Gillinger & Co., Ralston & Smith, J.L. Riffe, Hod-Scruby, Ed. E. Johnston, Fred Wright and Wm Manargan.