Pgs. 733, 734

            Elisha Edge, a prominent old resident of Stockton, is a native of Warren County, Tenn., where he was born in 1817.  His father, Henry Edge, was born in Maryland, in 1781, and when a young man went to Kentucky, where he met and married Miss Hannah Stockstill, who was born in North Carolina, in 1793, and afterward moved to Tennessee, and in 1837 to Dade County, Mo.  He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was a hard working tiller of the soil all his life.  He died in Dade County, Mo., in 1867, preceded by his wife in 1863.  They were the parents of thirteen children, Elisha being the sixth of the family.  He remained with his parents until twenty-one years of age, and on the 30th of January, 1839, was married to Miss Harriet Denby, who was born in Warren County, Mo., in 1820. Sophronia, wife of Charles Mitchell; Abigail, the deceased wife of Samuel Killingsworth; Eliza, wife of Giles Holman; Mary, wife of B. L. Cornwell; Henry; Susan, wife of Henry Hudson; Benjamin L., and Thomas, are the children born to their union.  Mr. Edge came with his father to Missouri, and, in 1841, located in Cedar County, settling in 1866 where he now lives.  On first coming to this State, he was obliged to go thirty miles to mill.  He is one of the oldest residents of the county, and is the owner of 240 acres of fertile land.  He supports the principles of the Democratic party, and during the Rebellion served six months in the Stockton Grays, and afterward in Company D, Col. McDonald’s Arkansas Regiment of Cavalry, participation in the battles of Wilson’s Creek, Prairie Grove, Helena, and numerous skirmishes.

Pg. 734

     John A. Firestone, residing on his farm of 200 acres, five miles east of Stockton, Mo., was born in Boterourt County, VA., May 22, 1842, and is a son of Michael T. and Rebecca (Brown) Firestone, who were also born in that county, January 3, 1812, and October 30, 1819, respectively. They came to Cedar County, Mo., in 1853, engaged in farming, and here died in 1884. The second of eleven children, and, until twenty-one years old, worked on his father's farm, but only received a few months' schooling. March 1, 1862, he enlisted in Company D, Eighth Missouri Cavalry, Missouri State Militia, and received his discharge on the 9th of March 1865. He then returned to Cedar County, and resumed farming, and, in the fall of 1865, married Miss Frances Paynter, whose birth, occurred in Botetourt County, Va., March 25, 1845 (for parents; history see sketch of Judge C. W. Paynter). They have the following children: Michael C., John E. T. (was accidentally shot May 4, in Idaho, by Mrs. Paul), Alonzo, Labirta B., Emily R., Charles N., Lulu, Sadie, Gertie, William C. and Romie. Mr. Firestone has been a resident of Cedar County since 1853, and is one of the prosperous farmers of the county. He has 150 acres improved and under cultivation. He is a Republican in Politics, a member of the G. A. R., and is a man who has always commanded the respect and esteem of all who know him.

Pgs. 734, 735

            Nelson Fritts, a highly respected farmer of Cedar County, Mo., was born in Loudoun County, Va., January 22, 1834, his parents being John and Rebecca (Shamlin) Fritts, who were born in Virginia, in 1805 and 1806, respectively.  John Fritts was of German descent, a farmer and shoemaker by occupation, and died in his native county about 1868. His wife is yet living at the very advanced age of ninety-three years.  Nelson Fritts is the third of fourteen children, and at the age of twenty-three years he bade adieu to relatives and friends, and came West to seek his fortune, locating in Cooper County, Mo., where he resided in 1869.  He then resided two years in Pettis County, since which time he has lived on his farm of 200 acres, in Cedar County.  Miss Sarah J. Church became his wife in 1868.  She was born in Tennessee, in 1847, and is a daughter of William C. and Mazey (Petty) Church.  Her union with Mr. Fritts resulted in the birth of eight children, three of whom are deceased: Cora I., born December 3, 1868, and died July 29, 1887; Minnie, born October 7, 1871, and died October 1, 1887; and Eva J., born February 14, 1873, and died October 3, 1887.  They were bright and promising children, and their untimely deaths were deeply mourned by their relatives and friends.  Those living are: Thomas J., Robert W., Alma P., Arvel E, and Charles E.  Mr. Fritts is an upright and industrious citizen, and has made a fine home for his family.  He is a Democrat, and he and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

  Pgs. 736, 737

            William Griffith, postmaster at El Dorado Springs, is a native of Pike County, Mo., born in 1846, and is the third of four sons and five daughters, born to Judge Albert G. and Sallie P. (Pickett) Griffith, natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively.  The parents emigrated from Kentucky to Pike County, Mo., about 1832, and there Mr. Griffith died in 1874.  Mrs. Griffith is still living.  Her parents both died in Pike County, Mo.  Judge Albert G. Griffith was left fatherless when but a boy, and after growing up, he was quite prominent man in Pike County, Mo.  He was a farmer by occupation, was judge of Pike County Court from 1868 to 1872, and the last two years of his life was presiding judge of that county.  He was also a justice of the peace for six years.  He an wife were members of the Christian Church, as were also all the children, with the  exception of William Griffith.  The latter received a liberal education in the country schools, assisted his father on the farm, and when eighteen years of age, or in 1865, he joined Company K, Third Illinois Cavalry, as corporal, and went at once to Mississippi, where he remained until the war closed.  He was then sent to the northwest frontier, where he remained until the fall of 1865, when he was discharged.  He then returned home, engaged in agricultural pursuits, and in 1874 was united in marriage to Miss Sallie, daughter of W. H. and Mary J. Nalley, natives of Virginia and North Carolina, respectively.  Mr. and Mrs. Nalley were early settlers of Pike County, where they lived many years.    They are now residing at Appleton City, Mo.  To Mr. Griffith and wife were born two children, one son (now dead) and a daughter.  In 1876 Mr. Griffith came to St. Clair County, Mo., where he farmed until 1880, after which he engaged in the lumber business.  In 1882 he came to El Dorado, where he engaged in the lumber business with Robinson Brothers, and continued at this until 1888, when he was made deputy postmaster.  In February, 1889, he was appointed to the position of postmaster, and has had full charge of the office since.  He was a member of the city council two years, and is a member of Col. Leonard Post No. 251, G. A. R.  In 1888 he was adjutant of the Twelfth District Veteran Association of the Twelfth Congressional District of Missouri.  Mrs. Griffith was born in 1856, and is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

Pg. 737

            Solomon O. Grimes, one of Jefferson Township’s well known farmers, is a naďve of the “Old North State,” born May 30, 1845, and since 1857—at which time his parents, Stephen and Susan (Elrod) Grimes, came to Missouri--he has been identified with the interests of Cedar County, being now the owner of a good farm of 236 acres, with about 130 acres under cultivation.  In 1873 he was married to Miss Orlena Irwin, who was born in Missouri, in 1849, and died in December of 1879.  She was the daughter of Cass and Rebecca Irwin, who were among the early settlers of Cedar County, and was the mother of five children: Orlena, wife of m. Austin; Amanda, wife of W. White; Mary wife of Wesley Hammons; Henry and Ida (deceased).  Mr. Grimes took for his second wife Mrs. Narsee (Simmons) Baker, a daughter of Absalom and Loretta Jones.  She was born in Cedar County, in 1849, and has borne Mr. Grimes four children: Arthur (deceased), Johnnie, Jimmie (deceased) and Joseph.  In 1862 Mr. Grimes enlisted in Company A, Fifteenth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, and after serving in the Missouri State Militia, served twenty months in the regular army, until the close of the war.  He supports the measures of the Republican party, and cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln.  He has shown his brotherly spirit by joining the I.O.O. F., being a member of Humansville Lodge No. 310.  Mrs. Grimes is a member of the Campbellite Church. His father and mother were born in North Carolina, in 1820 and in 1830, respectively, and the former was of Dutch descent, a farmer by occupation, and died in Dade County, Mo., in 1860.  His wife is of Irish-German descent, and is now living in Cedar County.  Her father, David Elrod, was born in the “Emerald Isle.”  

Pgs. 737, 738

        Judge Jerome Napoleon Gunier was born in Detroit, Mich., in 1824, and there made his home until 1837, when he went to Marion County, Ohio, and began working on a farm, and afterward learned the plasterer’s trade.  In 1844 he removed to Howard County, Ind., and helped to roll logs where the public square of Kokomo is now situated.  The Miami Indians were very numerous at that time.  In 1846 Mr. Gunier married Miss Mary Adaline Inman, who was born in Erie County, Penn., in 1830, and the following children are the result of their union: Elizabeth, wife of Alexander Younger; Charles; Abigail, wife of Samuel Street, a harness-maker of Stockton; Viola, Stringer; Martha Jane, wife of Frank Lorton; Andrew J., Frances M., Mary Jane, Mina, and Ida, wife of Charles Wright.  In 1858 Judge Gunier removed from Indiana to Cedar County, Mo., and located near Stockton, where he has since resided.  He farmed and worked at his trade until 1878, then followed farming alone until 1886, when he was elected Probate Judge of Cedar County, on the republican ticket, of which party he has been a member for many years, having been a Democrat previous to the war.  In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, Fifteenth Missouri Cavalry, U.S.A., the regiment taking part in the fights at Springfield, and was with Price and Shelby on their famous raids.  He was orderly sergeant of his company, being promoted after enlisting, and was discharged at Springfield on the 30th of June, 1865.  He is now a member of the Hubbard Post No. 194, G.A.R.  His father, Charles Gunier, was born in Upper Canada, and afterward moved to Detroit, Mich., where he carried on an extensive cooperage business.  He was a soldier in the War of 1812, being under Col. Lewis Cass, the Democratic candidate for president in 1848.  He surrendered with Gen. Hull.  During the war his wife, Elizabeth (Metta) Gunier, and his children staid [sic] in Fort Detroit for safety, and his eldest on was born there.  Charles afterwards participated in the Black Hawk War.  His wife’s father, Theophilus Metta, was one of the first settlers of Detroit, and lived to the advanced age of 104 years.  His son Boswell was one of the first settlers of Chicago, and died an old bachelor.

Pgs. 738, 739

            William B. Hamlett, a farmer residing about eight miles from Stockton, Mo., was born in Henderson County, Tenn., January 27, 1833, his parents, Richard and Elizabeth (McCullester), Hamlett, being Tennesseans who died in the native State.  William B. was the second of their six children, and, after the death of his parents went to live with his grandfather, James Hamlett, but, after remaining with him one year, hired out to a farmer to work by the month.  In September 1854, he married, in St. Clair County, Mo., Miss Amanda A. Phillips, who was born in Henderson County, Tenn., in 1836, and died August 31, 1873, leaving, besides her husband, the following children to mourn her loss:  George W., Andrew J.; Martha J., wife of James I. Simmons; William A., Mary F., James M., and Lizzie C.  On November 8, 1874, Mr. Hamlett married Mrs. Mary A. (Reed) Blodgett, a daughter of James Reed.  She was born in Georgia, about 1845, and her marriage with Mr. Hamlett resulted in the birth of eight children, seven living: Charles B., Harriett N., Nellie May, Sena F., Laura E., Adda D. and Elsie A.  January 1, 1854, Mr. Hamlett emigrated to Missouri and located in St. Clair County, where he resided until 1858, when he crossed the plains to Pike’s Peak.  He returned to Missouri the same year, and now owns 370 acres of land, 165 acres being under cultivation.  In 1862 he enlisted in Company M, Fifteenth Missouri Cavalry, and after serving three years, returned to the peaceful pursuit of farming, which he has since continued.  He is a stanch Republican in politics.

Pgs. 739 & 740

      John E. Hartley, President of the Stockton Exchange Bank, of Stockton, Mo., was born in Dickson County, Tenn., on the 13th of February, 1821, his parents being James and Elizabeth (Walker) Hartley, who were born near Augusta, Ga., and in Tennessee in 1780 and 1790, and died in Cedar county, Mo., and Bond County, Ill. In 1835 and 1855, respectively. They were married in Dickson County, Tenn., whither James had gone when a young man, and in 1831 he emigrated to Bond County, Ill. And in 1837 to Polk (now Cedar) County, Mo., the farm which he owned being now in the possession of J. W. Bugg. He did all his trading at the town of Bolivar, and, like the majority of the pioneers, was compelled to suffer many privations and hardships, but by hard work and good management, conquered many difficulties and became well-to-do. The following are his children: Willis, residing on a portion of the old homestead; John E., Solomon, Richard, Thomas, Henry, and Mary, widow of Solomon Hopkins, deceased. Four children are deceased. John E. Hartley was ten years old when he left Tennessee, and sixteen when he came to Cedar County, Mo. He was reared on a farm, and made his home with his father until he was over twenty-one years of age, and received quite poor educational advantages, but made good use of his opportunities, and was an intelligent young man. From the time he was eighteen to thirty years of age he was afflicted with rheumatism. From 1845 to 1848 he served as deputy circuit and county clerk of Cedar County, and in 1848 was elected sheriff and ex-officio collector of Cedar County, and was re-elected in 1850 without opposition, but was debarred further re-election by the statutes. From 1852 to 1854 he was engaged in merchandising, and at the latter date was again elected to the position of sheriff and collector of the county. In 1855 he purchased another stock of goods, and with the assistance of his brother, Thomas, managed this in connection with the duties of his office. He hauled his goods from Boonville and Jefferson City, a distance of 140 miles, and was engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1862, when his goods were taken by soldiers of the late war. Late in the fall of that year he went to Versailles, where he remained until the spring of 1865, then made the overland trip to Montana, and engaged in stock raising and trading in stock. In the fall of 1872 he returned to Cedar County and located at Stockton, and in the spring of the following year opened a store at that point, and also one at Caplinger's Mills, Richard Huston being manager of the latter establishment. In 1878 he was burned out at Stockton and closed out his store at Caplinger's Mills, but in June, 1881, engaged in the banking business in Stockton with a capital stock of $15,000, and the fall of the same year moved to the building he now occupies. Two years later he organized the Hartley Bank at Jerico, Cedar County, Mo., and in January, 1886, sold his stock and was the prime mover in the organization of the Mt. Vernon Bank, at Mt. Vernon, Lawrence County, Mo., but the same month and year disposed of his stock in the bank at Jerico. At the time of the organization of the bank at Stockton he was elected president, and M. B. Loy was chosen cashier. In October, 1887, Walter M. Hartley became cashier. Mr. Hartley is now the owner of 840 acres of land, at one time being the owner of about 1,500 acres, and all his property has been acquired by industry and sterling business principles. He has always been very liberal in supporting worthy enterprises, and aiding in the development of the county, and is one of the prominent men of the same. He has been a life-long Democrat, and James K. Polk received his first vote for the presidency. He became a member of the Masonic fraternity in 1850, and now belongs to the Stockton Lodge No. 283. May 9, 1850, was married to Miss Sarah J., a daughter of Jacob Sherrill, who came to Cedar County about 1840. Mrs. Hartley was born in Carroll County, Tenn., in 1834 and died in Montana Territory in 1871, having borne the following family of children: William L., assistant cashier in his father's bank; James H., a farmer; Jacob M., in Montana Territory; Minnie L., wife of C. B. Jones, of Montana Territory; Lurah Dean, wife of M. B. Loy, an attorney-at-law of Stockton, Mo.; Walter M., cashier of the Stockton exchange Bank; Jean, who is attending Baird college, at Clinton, Mo.; and Robert Lee, in Morrisville, College. In 1877 Mr. Hartley took for his second wife Mrs. Mary E. (Loy) Lesley, a daughter of Thomas Loy. They have one child, Leona. Mrs. Hartley is a member of the Christian Church.

Pgs. 740, 741

            Richard Hartley, one of the old and influential agriculturists of this region, residing eleven miles southeast of Stockton, Mo., was born in Tennessee, on the 25th of July, 1825, being the fifth of a family of eleven children born to James and Elizabeth (Walker) Hartley, a short sketch of whom is given in this work. He came from his native State to Cedar County, Mo., in 1837, and, owing to poor school facilities at that time, acquired but a limited education.  In 1847 he united his fortunes with those of Miss Almira Underwood, who was born in Roane County, Tenn., about 1849, being a daughter of Enoch and Sally Underwood, who came to Cedar County in 1840.  Mr and Mrs. Hartley’s union resulted in the birth of the following family: Ellen E., wife of William Lynch; William H. (deceased); Mary (deceased); Lorinda, wife of Brantly N. Davis; Richard D. J.; Enoch, who was killed by a falling tree, in 1877; Almira (deceased); Lurah D., wife of Frank Tow; an infant (deceased), John E. and Solomon W.  Mr. Hartley owns 800 acres of land, situated on Little Sac River, which makes a splendid grain and stock farm, and usually has about forty head of horses and mules, and about the same number of cattle.  He devoted seventy-five acres to corn annually.  He is a Democrat politically.

Pg. 741

            Thomas J. Hartley was born in Dickson County, Tenn., Mary 1, 1830, and is a brother of Richard Hartley, whose sketch precedes this, being the ninth in the family.  After remaining with his father until twenty years of age, he, on the 1st of May, 1850, started to cross the plains to California, and for four years worked in the gold mines of that State.  He returned to Cedar County, Mo., in June, 1854, and the following year engaged in merchandising at Stockton, being occupied in the business about three years.  In 1858 he espoused Miss Rachel M. Church, who was born in Tennessee, and who died December 23, 1858, having borne one daughter, Rachel M., the wife of R. C. Pyle.  She was a daughter of C. C. and Nancy Church, who died in Cedar County.  February 14, 1866, Mr. Hartley wedded Miss Margaret C. Montgomery, who was born in Roane County, Tenn., a daughter of John W. and Elizabeth (Jackson) Montgomery.  To this last marriage seven children were born: Laura, (deceased); William L., Lizzie, Josie May, Maud, Thomas F. (deceased); and Gertie J.  In 1864 Mr. Hartley went to Idaho, thence to Oregon, and from there by water to New York City, where he arrived January 1, 1866, and then back to Cedar County, Mo., which place he reached in March of the same year.  During the Civil War he was with Sterling Price six months.  About 118 acres of his 200-acre farm are under cultivation, and 80 acres are situated on the river bottom.  He is a Democrat, a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Pgs. 741, 742

            William A. Higgins was born in Jo Daviess County, Ill., in 1842, and is a son of William H. and Priscilla (Journey) Higgins, who were born in Kentucky and St. Clair County, Ill., in 1813 and 1815, and died in Cedar County, Mo., and Illinois, in 1865 and 1867, respectively.  The father removed from his native State to Illinois with his father, William Higgins, at an early day, and after making a few changes of residence finally located in Cedar County, Mo.  William A. Higgins is the third of six children, and received his early education in the common schools of Illinois.  He lived with his father until the latter’s death, and since 1868 has been a resident of Cedar County, where he owns 250 acres of land.  He is a Republican in politics, and cast his first presidential vote of Abraham Lincoln.  November 4, 1869, he was married to Miss Annie E. Allen, who was born in Cedar County, Mo., in 1853, and by her is the father of four children: Dora M., Bertha A., Walter E. and Nellie L.  Mr. Higgins and wife are members of the Christian and Baptist Churches, respectively.  Her parents, Joseph and Beulah Allen, were among the first settlers of Cedar County, Mo., of which he was elected the first county clerk by the Democratic party.  He became one of it prominent citizens, and he and wife died here when quite advanced in years.  While a resident of Tennessee Mr. Allen was also clerk of Dade County.

 Pgs. 742, 743

            Dr. Samuel W. Horn, the oldest physician and surgeon of Cedar County, Mo., was born in the State of Georgia, near Augusta, in 1811.  His father, Dr. John Horn, was a Virginian, born in 1778, and was a medical graduate and soldier in the War of 1812.  At Norfolk, in 1814, he was thrown from his horse and died the following day.  His wife, whose maiden name was Charity Brown, was born in Georgia, and died in 1836, at the age of forty-five years, in Smith County, Tenn.  Her two children are living: Dr. Samuel W. and Miranda, wife of Allan Horn, of Greene County, Ark.  The former was three years of age when his father died, but he continued to make his home with his mother, and went with her and his step-father, Henry McMullen, to Tennessee.  He was reared to manhood on a farm in Smith County, and in 1829 began teaching school, continuing this occupation for four terms in Mount Holly Academy, and at the same time pursued his medical studies, using his father’s books, which his mother had preserved.  He also studied under the direction of Drs. Ben R. Owen and John Daugherty, and in 1833 entered the Medical College of Louisville, Ky., from which institution he graduated in May, 1834.  He began practicing at Lancaster, and in May, 1835, married Miss Margaret Tyree, who was born in Smith County, Tenn., in 1822.  Of their ten children seven reached maturity: Mary, who died in 1863, at the age of twenty-five years, was the wife of William Cawthorn; William J., Francis H.; Samuel W., Jr., who died in 1870, aged twenty-two years; Martha L. J., wife of Joseph C. Ledbetter; Alexander M.; and Miranda C., wife of William C. Preston.  In 1843, Dr. Horn left Tennessee and went to Mississippi, and in February, 1844, landed at what is now Cedar County, Mo., and located on the farm where Thomas Hackleman now resides, where he entered upon the practice of his profession, there being only three other doctors besides himself in the county, and he is the only one now living.  He devoted his time to his profession until June, 1882, and since that time has lived a quiet, retired life.  He had only been in the county a short time when his worth and merit as a physician became known, and for over twenty years he had the most extensive practice of any doctor in the county, and very often was called a distance of forty miles from his home to attend the sick.  Many a time he has been on horseback a week at a time, with but little rest, and often fell asleep on his horse, and one time was knocked from is saddle by the branch of a tree.  Another time his horse stopped, and he slept for several hours before waking.  During all his years of residence in Cedar County, his good name has remained untarnished.  He is known the county over as “Uncle Sammy,” and is reverenced by all who know him.  Previous to the late war he was a Whig in politics, and voted for Henry Clay for the presidency in 1832; since that time he has been a Democrat, but during the War was a strong Union man.  In 1850 he took the first census in Cedar County, and was one of the original stockholders of the Bank of Exchange of Stockton.  He has been a member of the Masonic Order for forty-four years.  In 1885 he lost his estimable wife, and since that time his youngest son has been living with him. He has given each of his children $2,200, and has always been very liberal in contributing to worthy enterprises.  On coming to the county he had not a relation, but now, besides his own children, he has thirty-nine grandchildren and sixteen great-grandchildren.  He has been very successful financially, and is one of the well-to-do men of the county.

Pgs. 743, 744

            John M. Hudson is one of the substantial farmers of the county, and deserves honorable mention as such.  His farm, on which he located in 1877, situated about eight miles east of the county seat, comprises 180 acres of good land, about 140 of which is under cultivation and well improved, his residence being a handsome two-story frame structure.  He was born in the county in which he now resides, in 1849, and is the eighth of nine children born to the marriage of Meredith Hudson and Matilda Moore, who were born in West Virginia and Tennessee, respectively, the latter’s birth occurring in 1808.  When a young man the father left his native State, and went to Tennessee, where he was married, and afterward removed to Cedar County, Mo., in 1843, where he entered land on which he died in august, 1860.  His widow is still living.  John M. Hudson resided with his parents until he attained his twenty-first year, then began doing for himself, and in 1872 was married to Miss Rebecca Butner, who was born in Cedar County, Mo., and died in 1878, having borne three children, Mary A., being the only one living.  In 1879 Mr. Hudson took for his second wife Mrs. Frances (Little) Hobbs, who was born in Adams county, Ill, in 1849, and by her has four children: Rosa T., Sarah M., Charles B. and Elsie M.  Mrs. Hudson’s parents are Andrew J. and Mary A. Little.  Since 1875 Mr. Hudson has resided on his present property.  He is a Republican in politics, and cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln.  

Back to Biography Index

Back to Main Page                     

© Copyright 2000--Present; All Rights Reserved. Kay Griffin Snow